Mail client that actually WORKS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appleperson1, Sep 20, 2015.

1. appleperson1 macrumors member

OK. This is a much maligned topic online, I know. But I can't resolve it. I don't love webmail. I have multiple Google mail accounts. I have tried Mailbox, Postbox, Inky, Mail Pilot beta, Mail.app, Airmail and others.

They all f**k up some how, whether it's forcing me to delete my accounts and re-introduce them repeatedly, failing to send emails, crashing a lot, etc... Is there such a thing as a mail client for OSX that is just stable, and... you know... works?

Feel like that's not too much to ask. Anyone?

2. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

Hmm… when you constantly have the same (or at least similar) problems in a number of various mail clients, I would rather guess there is something wrong with (broadly speaking) your network or account settings, or possibly even your OS installation, than with the mail clients.

I personally use Mail.app with four different accounts (Google, Fastmail, Web.de (a German provider), and
    my university account) and that works almost all the time without any problems. I have also tried Postbox and Inky with the same setup, and both also worked fine (though I both ultimately disliked both for other reasons), so I really don't think it's a problem with the applications.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

How many is "multiple" when you say you have multiple Gmail accounts? FWiW, Gmail tends to be the most problematic for any email client.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You may be having SMTP server list trouble with Mail. Items on that list don't get deleted when accounts are deleted. I'm thinking that you have to have at least one account added to Mail to be able to edit the list. Delete everything in that list, remove all Mail accounts, delete keychain entries pertaining to your Mail accounts, then re-add the Mail accounts.

It's a pain but I've seen this fix Mail issues many times.

5. appleperson1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. It does sound quite possible that it's my account settings or OSX install that is problematic, but i'm just not sure how to fix it. Would a clean install of OSX fix things or is that just pointless?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It's overkill. Just try to do what I suggested.

7. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

I would see this only as last ditch effort, if everything else fails.

8. appleperson1 thread starter macrumors member

Cool - Thanks again.