mail "connecting" time long?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjprusk, Nov 29, 2007.

1. jjprusk macrumors member

I have noticed that when syncing mail (via IMAP), the mail app says "connecting" for a rather long period of time. Has anyone else noticed this as well? I would think that a simple TCP connection should happen pretty quickly (obviously the sync could take a while based on # emails, size, etc.). Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this (or maybe its just my server, which is possible)?

2. PDE macrumors 68020

I noticed that too when I was using Imap. With Pop it's very fast so I decided to use pop instead until Apple speeds things up somehow.

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've been experiencing similar problems in mail.app as well. This morning I read that the DNS resolver in Leopard has been changed to first attempt SRV requests for lookups initiated by the getaddrinfo() function. If the user’s DNS server drops these requests the DNS lookup may take an extended period of time to complete (30 seconds to several minutes) as Leopard tries different domain requests and eventually falls back to making an A record request. This can result in application freezes or timeouts.

Apparently the fix is easy:
    1- Go to System Preferences
    2- Click on Network
    3- Select Built In Ethernet and click Advanced
    4- Select the DNS tab and add 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in place of any current DNS servers. Click OK

I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get home tonight. The DNS addresses above are from OpenDNS.