Mail connection issue=university internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SeaWind12, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SeaWind12 macrumors newbie

I am having a major issue using Mail application when i am connected to the university internet. Mail application won't check mail, it however does check RSS feeds amazingly enough. When I'm connected to internet at home Mail works perfectly...
    Trinity College Dublin has this internet you authenticate every time you restart computer/send it to sleep/plug away the ethernet cable. I start up Safari, enter password and username, that I wait 40 seconds for it to log me in, and then I restart the browser= and then I can brows web pages, everyday the same thing=I'll never forget my password, even 30 past when I'm gone from university, cause I'm typing it in at least 5 a day. It uses all those crazy proxy settings "Using a PAC file" http://proxypac.tcd.ie/accelerated_pac_base.pac
    and they also make you install their antivirus rubbish programm... :eek:
    And basically Mail won't check mail or send mail if my laptop is connected to college network. Any ideas for work arounds or anything? Thanks

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

3. SeaWind12 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the solution?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Talk to the university IT dept. They probably block port 25 (smtp), which is what mail uses, in order to cut down on spam. Sometimes it's just a different port, but only your IT people would know for sure.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

or change the port you use to receive mail to another port the college leaves open. They have to leave some open.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

You need not only an open port, but also a port that the mail server is listening on. You might be able to find out by checking other people's systems, but IT is where the answer will be.

7. SeaWind12 thread starter macrumors newbie

The port that Trinity University uses is 22. What do I do next? Is there any way I can modify Mail.app to chech google mail through port 22?
    I will go to ISServices in Trinity
    next week-that would be a good idea.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not sure how you would change mail, but it might be something like

smtp.xxx.com:22 where 22 is the port number. I do remember from unix that you can give an ip address plus port number.

good luck