Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Ever since I upgraded to 1.1.3, even before trying to hack it, the Mail app just crashes the second it starts up. I have tried restoring. What else can I do?

christall109

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Have you guys hacked/jailbroken your iPhone at ANY time?

I suggest restoring yet again and if you have hacked your iPhone in the past.
I have only hacked my iPhone once, way back with installer on good ol' firmware 1.0.2

Mail works great for me, even with 4 accounts. I have never actually had this app crash come to think of it. The only apps that have crashed have been safari, ipod, and youtube.

Hope this helps kind of diagnose the issue.

PatrickC

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Ever since I upgraded to 1.1.3, even before trying to hack it, the Mail app just crashes the second it starts up. I have tried restoring. What else can I do?

After restoring, did you click the "set up as new phone" option? If not, give that a try. It could be a corrupted Preferences file that keeps getting transfered when you have it restore your settings each time. Just a thought.

kepple

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
IN, USA
I upgraded to Leopard last December. Since then, the Mail gave me nothing but troubles.
At beginning, it just crashed few times per day, but I could still use it.
Later on, it started to freeze my iMac and even Internet access once in a while.
I had to power off my computer and reset my airport to get back to normal.
Last weekend, the Mail simply won't work any more! It stopped download or
sending any new message and froze my iMac in few minutes every time I started it.

I have tried lots of suggestions to fix Mail in the past 2 months with no luck. I finally gave up and did a
clean installation (format harddisk+new installation+create new account) last night.

Guess what? Mail still crashed the first time I started it!!
I tried it immediately right after Leopard installed. I haven't installed any software
or restored any data from my backup. I only setup my .Mac account.
Nothing else! I can't think about anything that can cause the Mail to crash.
Maybe my 1000+ emails in my .Mac account caused the problem?

Anyway, enough complains. I am done with Mail. I switched to Thunderbird this morning
and it works just fine.
Apple, please fix it soon so I can go back to use Mail!

mediumofmeaning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
NJ
also getting constant mail.app crashes on launch. running 1.1.3. jailbroken before but restored to clean 1.1.3 still no luck.

no one had any luck fixing this?>

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
I had the same issue. Delete the mail folder located in the mobile/library directory. Back it up before deleting. But just delete the folder. Then go to mail and manually add the account. This worked for me!

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Mail crashing on 1.1.3 FIX

I had the same problems as the rest of you guys, I installed SyncFix from installer and instantly all my mail came flooding back.

Hope this helps

t11chb

hanstutschku

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Mail crashing under Tiger 10.4.11

Since yesterday Mail crashes as soon as I try to compose a new message or to reply to an existing one. I can read messages fine, but I can't write new mail.
I backed up and trashed the Mail folder, as well as the preferences file. After restarting, the new, empty mail app still crashes when trying to create a new message.
I tried to repair disk permissions.

Repairing permissions for “Sys-Intel”
Determining correct file permissions.
Group differs on ./Private, should be 80, group is 0
Permissions differ on ./Private, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Private
Permissions corrected on ./Private
Permissions differ on ./Users/Shared, should be drwxrwxrwt , they are drwxrwxrwx
Owner and group corrected on ./Users/Shared
Permissions corrected on ./Users/Shared
Group differs on ./private, should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on ./private, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./private
Permissions corrected on ./private

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

even after running it several times, the same errors about the private folder persist. Thus they did not get repaired.

Any idea, what I could try next.
Thanks, Hans

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Mail crashing as soon as you open it is happening on phones being restored from a backup from when your phone was unlocked using Ziphone.

All you can do to fix this problem is restore as a new phone. That is the only fix. I had this problem and it's something to do with using the backup that was originally from when your phone was unlocked and some apps installed. The backup contains some fragments of these making mail crash.

You will lose your SMS and any notes. Everything else can be recovered by syncing the phone but mail will once again work.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
if you have open SSH on the computer. SSH the phone and go to: var/mobile/library, and delete the mail folder. (Backup before you do this just in case) Restart the phone and manually setup a new mail account. You should be good to go from there!

hanstutschku

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
mail not crashing anymore . . .

:)

just an update to my earlier post. (BTW I'm not using any phone to sync with Mail, just plain POP).

Anyhow, installing the latest Security Update through Software update
seemed to fix the problem - at least for now.

Hans

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.