Mail Conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jasnw, Jun 9, 2015.

1. jasnw macrumors 6502a

jasnw

I have recently retired and have an iMac running SL from my office with a large Mail database. I'm currently using Mavericks on my home iMac and am looking for a way to convert/archive the mailboxes from my work computer in such a way that I can access them as needed from my Mavericks (and later) Mail app. I use POP on both the SL and Mavericks machines.

I am aware of the standard Mail archive process, but that does not handle attachments well (if at all). I'm also aware of the Email Archiver app, but I don't feel like shelling out $25 for something that (a) may not do what I want and (b) I only need once. I had thought of rolling my own converter/archiver using python, but it looks like this would be a laborious process fraught with all kinds of pitfalls and deaddrops. I'm open to suggestion as to possible solutions.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How many messages are we talking about? If it is not too many you could import them to Gmail then access them anywhere.

3. jasnw thread starter macrumors 6502a

jasnw

Thousands of messages over a couple of decades. Also, one reason I use POP rather than IMAP is a deep-seated dislike of keeping things on other people's servers. I only need to access these from one computer, and I want the emails on that computer. I suppose one approach might be to upload/import them to Gmail and then pull them all off into Mail from my computer, but that would likely take a long time and I suspect it would break often enough that it would take manual oversight.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that's what I was thinking of.