Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klrbee25

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Hey everyone,

I'm happily using my new 24" iMac, but I've run across a little problem this evening. I was trying to send a 225mb file as a mail attachment through my Gmail account using Mail. When I go to send the file, Mail crashes and disappears. This happened a couple times, so I logged directly into Gmail and sent the file through the web browser. Now the system is hung up 'sending' in the Gmail browser, and Finder has become very sluggish (slow response to clicks, errors printing, etc). Can the iMac and/or Mail handle sending files of this size?

Klrbee25

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I believe the issue is with gmail. The max allowable attachment size in gmail is 10mb

Thanks. I got mixed up and thought the max attachment size was much larger for some reason. I'm still a bit perplexed as to why neither Mail nor Gmail would just tell me my attachment is too large. Looks like i'll be going with http://www.yousendit.com.

schrocks

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
How do I get rid of this error

I had a colleague do almost the exact same thing. Difference being that it now crashes whenever he opens Mail. It doesn't crash right away. It's just VERY sluggish for 3 to 5 minutes, with a line spinning over on the right side and a message saying that it is copying a file. Then it crashes and tries to send an error report to Apple.

I've tried deleting the email. It looks like it gets deleted, but the next time I try to restart Mail it's back to square one. Moving the Mail folder from 'Username/Library/Caches' to the desktop has no apparent effect either.

What do I need to do to make it stop trying to send this message whenever he starts it up?

Dual 1GHz Power PC G4
512 MB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS 10.3.9

Thank-you

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I'm having the exact same problem. I accidently attached the wrong file and tired to send a 250 mb file. I can't get Mail to stop trying to send the email and while its working on it my entire system slows to a crawl. Does anyone know what I should try to do to fix this?

schrocks

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
I fixed this problem by deleting the Preferences for Mail (actually I moved them to the desktop, so if I needed to I could reverse the process). This made so I had to enter all the account info again, as if Mail had never been run on the computer before. However, once that was entered in, all the mailboxes and messages that had been there before were intact. Make sure you know what all the settings are including the advanced settings. Worked pretty well for me.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Not that it matters but i think the attachment limit for gmail is now 20mb.

Like mentioned above obviously choosing such a pick file should trigger some sort of response.

the public folder in dropbox is great for sharing files and you will just have to email the url

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.