Mail crashes frequently - please help (console log included)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by PDE, Oct 19, 2011.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

Hi,

Since upgrading to Lion I've experienced daily crashes in mail. Sometimes they are completely random, other times they seem related to deleting text through multiple taps on the delete key. I can't see a consistent pattern.

Can anyone help me decipher the attached log and perhaps suggest what I should be looking at? I'm running latest Lion on a macbook pro 13" from 2009 with 8gb ram.Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are using IMAP, I would delete the Mail account from Mail app then quit the app. Go to ~/Library/Mail and delete everything in that folder. Restart Mail app and add your email account back. This will start you fresh and if using IMAP you will not lose any mail.

Again, make sure you are using IMAP (like iCloud) before doing this or you could lose saved messages.

3. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

DO NOT DELETE EVERYTHING IN THAT FOLDER WITHOUT BACKING UP! That will erase all of your email. If you don't have it backed up you will lose everything (thats not on the Server of course.)

What I would do is simply move the move folder to your desktop temp. and erase any mail related preferences in ~/Library/Preferences. Give that a shot. If that works then you will need to re-migrate your mail. If it doesn't work then just put your mail folder back. Mail in 10.7.X is pretty spotty and buggy though.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hence my warning (twice) to make sure he is on IMAP. If on IMAP nothing will be lost.

5. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

You're assuming he knows the difference between IMAP and POP. When giving someone tech advice when data is involved you always want to assume that the client or person you are helping has no clue.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thank you oh wise one. I will print this out and tape it to the front of my monitor. :rolleyes:

7. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Maybe you should. Telling people to throw away data without giving them a proper disclaimer is dangerous and shows a total lack of disregard for details. This isn't your data at risk it is the OP's.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thank you for the added condescending advice. I really do appreciate it. Please continue.

9. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

I think the only condescending one here is you. I am just trying to help avoid people losing data.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I knew you could not help but reply again. :rolleyes:

11. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks and don't worry: I know the difference between POP and IMAP. I'll try starting over with all my imap mail and hopefully that will clean things up...

I'll let you know how it goes - I can't stand frequent crashes!

12. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Another thing to try to is stripping attachments (post backup.)

Mail -> Message -> Remove Attachment