Mail crashes on opening + random crashing complete shuts down phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AndyFL, Feb 2, 2010.

1. AndyFL macrumors regular

I've done a fair amount of searching and must be honest I'm still confused - especially given the update of 3.1.3.

Phone info: 3GS, 3.0.1, 4.26.08, week 28 build? (SN - 84928), and has SHSH on file for 3.0,3.1,3.1.2.

First problem is random crashing (meaning phone turns off completely). Being plugged in to charger seems to prevent crashing 9 out of 10 times. And in order to get it to start back up, I'd say 4/5 times it won't start up unless it's plugged in. Otherwise, the Apple logo boot screen comes up, then goes off after about 1-2min - it just fails to start up.

Second more recent problem is that Mail app crashes immediately on trying to open. I did a search and found this was a problem for some on the older 2G phones. One recommendation was SyncFix (which as far as I can tell is not available). And another was BossPrefs => restore permissions. I tried repairing permissions to no avail.

So then I tried re-JB'ing, using redsnow 0.9.2 (original JB was done with redsnow 0.8), choosing "already jb'd" and I chose the IPSW I had used previously to JB -> "iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore." (I hope that was correct?) No change, still crashes randomly and Mail still not working.

Ideally, I would've liked to have restored as a new phone and run "stock" 3.1.2 for a while (set-up as a new phone) to see if it's still crashing, then re-JB. Is that still possible given the 3.1.3 update? If so I'm not sure I understand how. If not possible, any other suggestions? Thanks very much for your time.

{EDIT} Successfully modified the host file and restored to 3.0. Will run for a bit "stock" 3.0 to see if crashes continue, then up to 3.1.2, then JB.

Andy

2. AndyFL thread starter macrumors regular

...and sometimes it decides to start up in Safe Mode - where Mail works, btw.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, looks like I'm going to modify the host file and go that route. I could bump up to 3.1.2 or stay at 3.0.1, correct? Thanks for the link dhlizard.