Mail Crashes When Trying Rebuild Database

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sabor, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

Due to my MBP spontaneously shutting itself off, I got a message that my mail database or index files (can't remember) was corrupt and that I would need to relaunch mail for it to rebuild it.

I thought no biggie and restarted mail. As I had anticipated, it gave me the welcome screen and started to "import" my messages.

When it's about halfway done, it tanks on me. Now, I have a Time Machine backup from a date before the whole thing went to hell. I have restored ~/Library/Mail but it still tries to rebuild and crashes. What should I replace from my backup? That is - where are the files that Mail uses for its DB? :confused:

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's the correct default spot for your Mail database. Does it crash as it's changing back to the olden days, or does it crash after that, as it re-syncs with your server?

3. sabor thread starter macrumors regular

sabor

It crashes when it is trying to get things back to normal - during the "Importing Mailbox" phase. My guess is that it does not like a mailbox. Guessing which mailbox it is going to be a PITA. :mad:

4. sabor thread starter macrumors regular

sabor

I sorted by date the mailboxes and found the one that was modified last. While Mail is fixing your stuff, it tells you what Mailbox it is currently working on, but it just so happen I have various mailboxes with the same name under different folders. I removed the folder that was modified last and it has gotten past to the part it crashed before. :)

Thanks for the reply.