Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
I have over 450 e-mails saved in my Mail app, mail seems sluggish lately, and when I quit it, most of the time it just lags and I have to force quit it, is this cause of the 450 e-mails? should I back them up somewhere else? thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Jericho2550 said:
I have over 450 e-mails saved in my Mail app, mail seems sluggish lately, and when I quit it, most of the time it just lags and I have to force quit it, is this cause of the 450 e-mails? should I back them up somewhere else? thanks

Mail in Tiger is a little sluggish to me as well, but I don't think 450 e-mails should be a problem. Are these saved e-mails or are they still in the inbox of an IMAP account? If the latter, it might speed things up to move them to offline storage... FWIW, though, I have almost 13,000 e-mails in saved folders....I only have about 20 in my inbox, though.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
ok, that makes sense, but can you tell me how to have mail delete all the e-mails it downloads off of my server? I remember with Panther it was simple, I can't seem to figure this one out.

I appreciate your help

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Jericho2550 said:
ok, that makes sense, but can you tell me how to have mail delete all the e-mails it downloads off of my server? I remember with Panther it was simple, I can't seem to figure this one out.

IMAP or POP? If it's IMAP, you shouldn't need to change any settings. What you see in your inbox is supposed to be the server, so whenever a message is moved out of your inbox in Mail.app, it's also removed from the server inbox. That's the theory...sometimes this gets followed in a slightly funny way. My Groupwise server seems to store copies of messages, depict them as "crossed out" in the Groupwise mail app, and then delete them slightly later. Which is effectively close to the same -- so my Groupwise inbox has the 15 or so messages that show in Mail.app, plus another 100 or so of these "to-be-deleted" messages at any given time. But it gets rid of them automatically, so it's all good.

If you are using POP, the option is in the Advanced tab of the preferences for that account -- "Remove copy from server..." Again, some servers will fail to respond to this correctly...GMail in particular does not seem to abide by this request at all.

POPSettings.jpg

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
thank you very much for your reply, I wanted to know this...
I have a .mac account, which is imap, is there anyway I can have the e-mails deleted from the .mac server as soon as Mac OSX Mail downloads them? cause like my pop account, I would like to keep eveything there in the application, so I can serch for something in a past e-mail, I don't need it to be online though...thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.