Mail Crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applepod124, Jul 16, 2009.

1. applepod124 macrumors newbie

Hello, My mail application always crashes a few seconds after I launch it. please help me. A scheenshot of the log is attached.

Attached Files:

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Try removing the preference files and your mbox files. A lot of times a corrupted email can cause this.

3. applepod124 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. applepod124 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

There are several other approaches you can try for handling Mail crashes. The first is to use OnyX or another system maintenance program to clear the system and application caches, and also the Mail Downloads folder (which can also be done by hand at the /username/Library/Mail Downloads/ folder). In addition, removing the Mail preferences file is another common approach, which is called "com.apple.Mail.plist" and is located in the /username/Library/Preferences/ folder. Doing this will require you to set up your accounts again, but your emails and inbox organization should still be intact once the accounts are set up. Lastly, if Mail crashes on launch, you can try launching it in "Safe" mode (where it does not immediately check for new messages or display any downloaded emails) by holding the shift key while it launches. This will allow you to change any faulty settings or rebuild mailboxes as may be required to fix the problem.

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Click on the Apple logo
    It needs to say Finder next to the Apple logo
    Click on Go then click on Home
    Click on Library then click on Preferences
    Move file com.apple.mail.plist to the desktop

You have to rebuild the Mail app.
    Done

the path to the file is

/Users/yourname/Library/Preferences

7. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Failing that... Time Machine is your friend... I did just this week delete Mail and restore using Time Machine... I could not believe that it worked so well.

8. applepod124 thread starter macrumors newbie