Mail crashing on new 3rd gen iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by greg555, Oct 5, 2009.

1. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Mail is crashing on my daughter's new 32GB iPod touch (3rd gen). It did it right out of the box, as soon as I configured the mail settings.

Sometime it will keep running long enough to scroll through the list of emails but often it crashes right away (within a second or two). It crashes to the home screen. Everything else seems to work fine.

We first tried resetting it. No go. Then deleting all the other installed apps and resetting. Still no go. Finally she did a full restore (to 3.1.1). Still no go.

Any suggestions? Could the iPod be defective?

Thanks - Greg

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Are you near an Apple Store?

They can plug it into "the" computer and it tells them what it's doing - how many charges on the battery, how long it's lasting, how many Apps are "crashing" - and what ones.

The Genius at the store i go to is actually very concerned that Safari is crashing on my Touch. He wants me to do a full restore - but to not use my backup, and start over. The problem is, i have a few apps that i'd lose my data and i can't do that right now (updates pending to fix that on those apps).

But basically, he feels that it would a no question asked replacement if i do the restore.

SOOO, long way of saying, if you aren't near a store - call and see what they say!

3. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately the nearest Apple store is a 6 hour drive away.

Thanks - Greg

4. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Since you can't go to the store, then call support. They are nice and helpful.