Mail Default Sending Account?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by helio1982, Jan 17, 2009.

1. helio1982 macrumors member

Hello,

I configured two accounts in mail. One account is a send & receive account. The other is only meant to send mails. Both are pop/smtp.

How can I configure a default sending account? Meaning that when I write a new mail, or reply to an email I always want a chosen account to be the standard from address. I only use the other very seldom.

Currently I seems that mail choses the from address randomly.?

Thx in advance for any info!

Helio

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

When you hit compose, Mail sets the account to the one that the currently selected message was sent to, in your inbox or whatever.

3. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem and thought I'd add here rather than start a new thread, hope someone can help:

I have my mobileMe account and I have set up an alias. If someone sends to that alias and I want to reply, it reverts back to my actual mobileMe email when I send. when I choose which email account I want to send from, it only gives me the option of my main mobileMe email and my isp account. (Only on my iPhone - I can send from any account when using "Mail" on my iMac)

Can I use my iphone to send from my alias account?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Open Mail, click on Preferences and go to the Composing tab.

Go to the section - Send new mail from: and chose the email account you want for sending new mail. This account will be used for all new messages

When you reply to a mail, it will always use the email account that received the message by default unless you pick another one from the drop down box on the message header.

5. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Sorry.. was this for me? I went to the setting on the iphone, it only shows the 2 accounts I have (isp and mobile me main account). When I try to "add account" for the alias, it can't do it.