Mail delete problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sunfast, Jan 5, 2008.

1. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

For some reason Mail won't delete my sent messages - deleting them just changes the subject / sender line colour from black to grey but they don't go anywhere.

Anybody know why this is?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. sunfast thread starter macrumors 68020

sunfast

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Okay, now I'm just plain curious, what in the world is that command s'posed to be/ do? (I mean, aside from magicking away deleted messages.) Where is it in the menu majiggie?

:edit: Ahhh, thanks so much for that screenshot, sunfast. :) I can now carry on with the rest of my life in peace.

5. sunfast thread starter macrumors 68020

sunfast

COMMAND-L is "show deleted messages"

Attached Files:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I'm in the process of cleaning up my mail, and had this same problem. I searched and found this thread, but I still don't get it.

Command L doesn't help me delete my stubborn mails, it just alternates between showing a flag and a little brown bag (trash?). But the mails are still there, they never move into the trash. I've tried quitting and restarting mail, restarting the computer, but I can't get rid of those mails. :confused:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

annk, can you delete any emails? Are they all from the same account or the same sender? Do you have any rules that may be moving them or keeping them in the inbox? Do you have a trash folder selected? :)

You're right that COMMAND-L doesn't delete emails so much as how or hide the already-deleted ones.

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The mails are from different accounts. What happens, is that instead of being deleted and moved to the trash (all my accounts are set up to move deleted mail to the trash), they get grayed out in my inbox. :confused: And - really weird - occasionally, the delete button in the menu bar changes to an Undelete button. :eek:

I can't see that any of my rules would prevent mail from being deleted. The only rules I have, are ones that automatically move mails that come into my inbox, into other folders I've got set up. An example is that any mail with "uio.no" in the address of the sender, goes into my "Uni" folder. Just the usual sort of keep-your-inbox-uncluttered-and-sort-your-incoming-mails sort of rule.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm a bit stumped. :eek:

Are they IMAP accounts? It's like it hasn't taken into account you want your emails sent to the trash. Can you manually drag emails to the trash, and have them move properly (bypassing the delete or undelete button)?

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

They are all imap as I understand it. One is the account I have through my ISP. This account can be accessed anywhere via web, but I also have my computer set to erase the mails from the server once they've been downloaded to my computer. The second is a .mac account, and the third is gmail.

I've tried dragging them to the trash, but nope. The weird part is when they just get grayed-out in the inbox, and the "delete" button magically becomes an "undelete" button. :confused:

The only other think I can think of, is that the Ctrl L command goes between showing some of them as trash, or alternately as flagged. I tried marking them as not junk, then deleting, but that didn't help either.

This, combined with the problems I've been having with Word closing mysteriously on one account (you helped me with this in another thread), make me wonder if it isn't worth it just to wipe the whole disc and start over with a clean install, sigh. A major hassle, but mebbe worth it. It's a 2004 PB G4 17", but it's still working well, and I want to keep it in good shape.

12. sunfast thread starter macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'm back now!

It seems I'm still having issues. Whilst I can delete most of my email I can't dispose of all of them.

There are about 15 undeletable ones. Interestingly the message seems to have gone (can't open or preview them) but the subject line remains and I can't get rid of it at all!

Can I delete these any other way?

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

That reminds me - some, but not all, of my problem mails are like sunfast's - only the subject line remains, the text itself is gone.

14. mode101 macrumors regular

I'm having this issue as well, but my account is POP. I'd love to know what is causing this...

15. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You can remove "stubborn" greyed out mail messages by selecting them and hitting Command X

16. Snoozeman macrumors newbie

Thanks, that did it for me. :)

I had just one email that just wouldn't delete.

17. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Thanks Snoozeman
    I know this is a old thread. But Your answer did the trick:)

18. Gitano1 macrumors newbie

I would like to ditto the last message. I had one email that wouldn't go, and then suddenly several more joined the happy throng. Thank you very much for the info. I was seriously considering reloading Leopard just to get me mail client working. :)

19. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

heh-hoo

Cmd-X! nice! good call!

One thing I might point out about my specific issue, and that is it seemed to be relegated to emails with attachments. Emails without attachments would delete fine, but the ones with attachments would simply reappear. Anyway, this fix seems to be working so far - though if I delete say, a months worth, a progress bar appears saying "Copying messages from server", but I guess as long as you don't paste them anywhere they're gone!