Mail does not Compose E-mail!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krewelement394, Jul 20, 2008.

1. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

i am realy frustrated with the fact that i have tried everything to try to send e-mail through Mac. Mail app. Mail is able to receive e-mail but i cannot send any, why is that? also when i check my mail i click on "Get my Mail" and it prompts me if i want to connect...! it is very annoying as it asks me every time. Any who the real problem that i want to fix is getting mail to compose e-mail!
    i am using Sbcglobal service.
    on my booklet that came with the installation cd, tells me to put this:
    pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    :mad:
    it works on my windows computer with outlook, i am able to send and receive e-mail, on my mac it is only able to receive, please help!
    Thanks

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

do you have the correct port set up on your outgoing smtp server?
    preferences>accounts>account information>outgoing smtp server>select edit server list from dropdown.

some ISP's block particular ports. you might have to find out what port they use for outgoing mail (should be easy to find on their website) and make sure this port is set correctly. usually ISP's block port 25 and use 587 instead, although this is not always the case. (if it reads 25, try 587 just for fun!)

good luck!

3. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

I tried both port 25, and 587 but no luck! i get a message saying that the smpt.sbcglobal.yahoo.com cannot be used with the port (25), or 587....what to do next...:(?
    also under the checkmark for ssl there is something about authentication i have it set as none, but does that really matter.... i have never really moved any of those settings it has always been under none.

4. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

OK! after trying many things!!! i finally got it working! i can receive and send! hmm i found out that none of these ports support ssl!! so i had to uncheck ssl! and i can send now:D but what is ssl exactly is it important....?:O

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

SSL encrypts the data as it is transferred to and from the server. If the server supports it, then it must be checked. If it doesn't support it, uncheck it.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

SSL is Secure Sockets Layer, and the vast majority of mail services neither require nor support it. It should normally be left unselected, as you discovered.