Mail doesn't connect to IMAP SSL Account

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kittonian, Oct 23, 2013.

  1. kittonian macrumors member

    kittonian

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2008
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #1
    I ran into a major issue after upgrading to Mavericks yesterday where Apple Mail refused to connect to an IMAP SSL account that has been working for years. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. Finally I found a solution so I thought I'd share with the community.

    1. Disable the IMAP account by unchecking the "enable this account" option
    2. Create a brand new IMAP account using the exact same parameters/info (this apparently overwrites the existing account as no new account showed up
    3. Enable the IMAP account by checking the "enable this account" option

    Now it works and connects/auths just fine. Very strange, but hopefully this will help others get back and running.
     
  2. danielsdesk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #2
    Thanks for this post, but it didn't work for me... Also that 3rd step didn't need to happen; after I created the duplicate acct and it supposedly overwrote the old one, it automatically enabled itself... in fact I never saw a duplicate acct listed, it would just re-enable the original one, though the problem was not fixed... Guess I'll keep digging
     
  3. vanc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    #3
    I found similar issues on my rMBP when running developer previews. The problem was that the port number for IMAPS was wrong. And changing it didn't work, already reverted back to the wrong port number.

    I also recreated the account and it started working again. Please note that I upgraded from ML.
     
  4. danielsdesk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #4
    Hmm maybe my problem was with Avast! antivirus... it was listed as incompatible software when I upgraded to Mavericks... I went into the Incompatible Software folder and installed the prefPane for it, and then went into Mail Shield -> Advanced and unchecked 'scan secured connections'... then I rebooted and now, for whatever reason, everything is working in Mail now. All of my accounts.
     

Share This Page