mail duplicated my emails after time machine restore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Freida, May 24, 2011.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello,

I noticed that some of my emails from the past started to be blank and nothing was in them so I freaked out and restored from a back up. I had to do it twice as there was a gap that wouldn't cover everything (1x for really old emails and another one from old to really old) which worked great and I have all my emails back but some of them are twice.
    Is there a way to remove them, please?

I'm on snow leopard

Thank you

2. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Not sure what kind of account it is; IMAP or POP3. If it's IMAP, just delete the account in Mail, and recreate. If not, Google "Mac Mail Duplicate Emails". There's a way to clear out the cache in Mail. I think it's a .plist file. It'll recreate it, and eliminate the duplicates.

3. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

well, it is hotmail (pop3) but there is another problem and that is why I can't just delete it.
    I (without knowing) had the option of "remove copy from server after retrieving a message" on so all the emails are lost from the server and I only have them on my computer. Would the cache thing still work?
    I tried to rebuild the mail which helped by removing those blank emails but it didn't remove the duplicates. :(