Mail, Entourage, and Exchange

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bslax28, Nov 24, 2007.

1. bslax28 macrumors member

Hey - so here's my problem. My college recently "upgraded" to an exchange email server. I can only get it to work with entourage, and my IT dept offers no suggestions as to how to get Mac Mail working. But I know Mail is capable of accessing an exchange account. I really don't like entourage and just upgraded to leopard so I want to use the new mail app. Has anyone else had similar problems using exchange with mail?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is true, but irrelevant. Every implementation of Exchange is different. The test is if Mail is capable of accessing your Exchange server. Just a few months after I upgraded to MacOS X at work, my IT staff upgraded our Exchange server. The previous implementation worked better with Mail than it did with Entourage 2004. The current implementation of Exchange does not work with Mail at all. As much as I would like to believe that a conspiracy is responsible for this turn of events, the truth is probably much worse. My IT staff doesn't know any better.

My advice:

1. Find a working installation of Outlook and copy its settings into Mail--either using the setup wizard or manually.
    2. Check Microsoft's website for the Exchange facilities that should be enabled for Mail to work with it. Then, call up your IT staff and ask them very, very nicely how to get Mail to work with your Exchange implementation.
    3. If neither 1. nor 2. works, then grit your teeth and learn to love Entourage.

3. bslax28 thread starter macrumors member

that's what i feared. thanks a lot, that was really helpful.