Mail fetch vs push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nrwrit3r, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Does changing mail to fetch every 30 minutes help the battery life? Assuming you're getting ~ 5 emails an hour?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sure. Not sure you'll how much you'll notice but the less it connects to wifi or 3G the longer the battery will last.

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I tested this out and couldn't really tell a difference

Push keeps an active connection open waiting to accept mail. The phone always uses your packet switching mobile data network to ping the server, even when wifi is enabled. Once a ping request is sent the connection is held open for approximately 15mins even when the phone is asleep. This suspend state uses no power and allows the server to send you email as soon as they arrive.

Even if wifi is available the pinging takes place over mobile data, if wifi is enabled it will download the message if the phone is awake but even if the phone is asleep it won't use wifi to download. It keeps wifi asleep to preserve battery.

People who use push and have poor 3G signals may find their battery life can be quite poor. 3G still needs a lot of power to maintain a low but stable signal.

If you get a lot of emails, say 5 or 10 an hour you may find push uses a lot more battery. Your 3G will be constantly active recieving email, where as if you only get 10 or 15 a day your push connection is open but sleeping using no power apart from the interval polling. Therefore affect on battery life is negligible.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I don't use push… I'm not under the illusion that my email is that urgent and me responding that quickly is just as important. People can wait… I've got a life.

If you get a lot of of emails, it very likely makes a difference.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Test for yourself and see. Push is generally more efficient (if your client polls the server and there's no new mail then your client just wasted battery life) but it's difficult to tell you exactly what you'll experience with your specific conditions.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I take it you don't use e-mail for anything related to work then? Some of use it as our primary means of communication, and urgency sometimes is a factor, not an illusion.

7. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I didnt notice any difference between push and checking myself every 30 mins-1 hr, besides I like to respond to the emails after I receive them - makes people feel more special.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Same. During the day I can get anywhere from 10-50 emails an hour (yeah, work thing), but it really didn't seem to make a difference.

9. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I do use email for work, which is exactly why I don't use push. I'm far more productive if I check my email hourly, rather than jump on every email that comes in every minute of the day. I'd never get anything done. If it's that urgent, a phone quick phone call is much more efficient; I prefer not having to sit around for the reply to get pushed back when a reply is right there on the phone.

10. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I workfor a NOC/HELP Desk. Our main means of communication are email and lync. I have 2 exchange accounts setup and 3 personal emails. I get on average 3-5 emails an hour during the day and about 10 an hour at night. I'm typically at 30% by 5 Pm. I do a few games, text, and limited calling throughout the day with my emails.

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

Going off on a slight tangent: if you use certain email services (e.g., icloud, exchange, and gmail), you can control which incoming messages cause the iPhone to make a sound/vibrate. Basically, if you use filtering to mark an incoming message as read, the push still occurs, but no sound/vibration occurs. It's very useful if you get a lot of non-urgent email.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ this. I used to push email with my BB years ago, but as I moved up in my career and progressed in life, I've taken back my life and control when I respond to email. Way too many people believe email needs to be immediate and I refuse to let others guide me through my day.

You're role is different and thus I see why you need push messaging. I would suggest keeping work push and the personal manual. That's just me though.

13. 3bs, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm actually considering switching both my personal and college email to manual.

14. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Using email for urgent communication is retarded. if it is urgent, call.

Email delivery may be delayed due to multiple factors, and if delivery isn't successful first time it may be hours or days before it arrives.

15. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

You are right. That's why in our case we have lync

16. dahauss macrumors regular

I have 3 accounts set up.. One of them is an EXCHANGE account and I have it set to PUSH. I tested PUSH and FETCH and I couldnt tell the difference in battery life.. Not at all. the other 2 accounts ONLY have a choice for FETCH and I have it set to 1 hour. I get great battery life on my 4S....

17. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I have always had my accounts on push, I like getting my mail the instant someone sends it.

However, my friend has swtiched around with push and fetch and noticed no significant increase in battery life. Therefore, I'll just go with push.

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Some might argue that urgency is an illusion, and not a factor.

After all, there are surely times when you can NOT check or respond to an email INSTANTLY. Like in meetings, out of coverage, sleeping, etc.

Reminds me of a phrase one Sr VP once used. "Your lack of planning does not indicate an emergency on my part."

19. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

"An emergency is in the eyes of the beholder."

I agree people these days are too attached to their devices and feel every phone call, email or text is of great urgency - it's not. I love devices but I make it a point to not play with my iPhone and such when I'm home, etc. In fact it's nice not to have to answer the damn thing!

Often times my phone will ring or a text will bell and my wife looks at me waiting for me to check it. I just sit there or simply ignore it. I still remember life without pagers and cell phones. People still got in touch when there was an emergency :)

20. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I have too many email accounts, so I use Push and fetch... I have it fetch every 15 minutes for my Gmail accounts, and I have my work and school email push to my phone...

Push for my school email saved me a couple times from driving to campus to find out my first class was canceled (while I was at Mizzou)... Now i am in a Distance Education Graduate program through the University of Arkansas... So email is the main form of communication.