Mail File Storage

Discussion in 'iMac' started by amosthedog, Feb 25, 2012.

1. amosthedog macrumors newbie

I am trying to encrypt my notes folder (mail too, if i can) but i cannot find the folder that my notes are saved to. In Windows it is under the user name - nowhere to be found on my iMac. I've closed Mail and looked in Library, there is no mail folder there. Thanks!

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

3. leman macrumors 604

Its in Library/Mail

A word of caution though: I have no idea what you are trying to do but if you do that there is a high probability of you losing all your mail data. Apple Mail uses its own custom ormats and directory structure to store messages, if you mess with it you will get undefined results.

4. Bear macrumors G3

IF you're using Lion, why not just use FileVault and encrypt the whole disk?

I did that with no issues and I've also turned on encryption for my Time Machine disk.

5. amosthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all

I did use Spotlight looking for Library/Mail. Library is there, not Mail. I've looked everywhere. Since someone warned about losing my data i think i'll use the FileVault suggetion. Does anyone know if i can do the same with TrueCrypt? Again, thanks so much!

6. rebby macrumors 6502

Not really. True Crypt creates a virtual disk that you would end up mounting under /Volumes. It would work like a disk image file created under Disk Utility. There are ways of making it work but it gets somewhat messy, symlinks, boot scripts, etc, etc. Much easier to just use File Vault and call it a day. You'll have fewer problems with that solution.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Are you looking in /Library or in /Users/yourUserid/Library?

8. Bear macrumors G3

Truecrypt won't work with the system disk. AT least not without a lot of odd gyrations that will break the system. Will Apple having full disk encryption as part of 10.7, I can't see using a third party encryption tool unless the disk needs to move between OS X and Windows. It's just another device driver you have to worry about breaking with OS patches and upgrades.