Mail Folder Messup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joehack, Jun 3, 2007.

1. joehack macrumors member

Hello

Ever since I bought my MB, I use Thunderbird as mail client. Simply because the folders of my IMAP account are not handled properly by Mac Mail.

The Inbox works just fine.

Where does Mail stores the sent emails. Mail should store them on the server. Thunderbird stores them properly in 'Sent' folder.

Thanks for your help!

Jochen

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If I'm understanding your problem, you have an IMAP type of email account? Then by default, the sent emails are stored on the server and when you delete them from the "Sent" folder in Mail.app, it deletes them from the server as well.

I'm not savvy enough, but short of fiddling with the account settings in Mail> Preferences> Accounts (select the one in question)> fiddle w/ Sent settings.

Picture 5.png

That said, you could always drag the sent emails from the IMAP linked "Sent Folder" into a new folder you would make on your Mac...

Picture 4.png

3. joehack thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. Correct, I am using IMAP.

It seems like a total mess up with the folders. The folder mapping is a totally different one compared to Thunderbird.

I've attached a screenshots of my folder structure.

Example:
    When I delete a message (move to trash) with Mail, it is NOT visible for Thunderbird (and the Hord webmail). :mad:
    The webmail and Thunderbird seem to have the same mapping. But messages moved to trash with these tools are no longer visible in Mail.

The same applies to the sent messages. Even worse, messages sent with Mail are not stored in any folder.

As far as I can remember, Mulberry also worked fine.

Any ideas?

Jochen

Attached Files:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can change where mail.app puts sent mail, deleted mail etc.

So, in mail.app find your remote folder where you want to put sent/trash/etc. Highlight it and select Mailbox->Use this Mailbox for

5. joehack thread starter macrumors member

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No problemo