Mail font question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chopper9, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Chopper9 macrumors regular

Chopper9

I am trying to get my outgoing business emails to be written completely in Verdana font.

Attached are 2 screenshots of my issue. In the first picture, you can see how the emails look when they leave my computer.....

[​IMG]

But here is how my customers see the same letter... notice the font in the letter has changed from Verdana to Times. But yet... in my signature... the font is correct... Verdana.

[​IMG]

Here is how the fonts are set in my preferences.

[​IMG]

Why isn't the whole email showing up in Verdana on the recipients screen, and how can I fix it?

2. Chopper9 thread starter macrumors regular

Chopper9

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are sending email, not PDF files. The format of received messages is determined by each recipient's email client. There is no way that you can possibly force all of your customers to view your messages in the format that you intend. The closest that you can get is to send HTML mail.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Interesting topic.

I too changed my font preferences. Simply because, at high resolution, the default font is way too small for me to read. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it didn't change what the receiver sees. I bumped it up so much that it would look horrible to the receiver.

But, if I actually wanted it to be displayed that way for the receiver, how would I do that?

I think you have to manually adjust them while composing messages. Personally, I love that it's this way, but definitely understand why others might be frustrated by it.

Maybe you could create stationary with the font size you want?

5. Chopper9 thread starter macrumors regular

Chopper9

I understand that if the recipient doesnt have a font used in my email... it will get replaced.... BUT....

why then, does the signature.... the part from sincerely on, including the address... show up in the correct font??????

6. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

This is so funny! I have exactly the same problem. I'm switching from Outlook on a TZ to Mail and I don't understand why Oulook wouldn't translate Verdana, Tahoma and Trebuchet MS, all Microsoft fonts found on all PCs.

Clearly, there's a bug in how Mail renders/specifies fonts, because when I send it from my PC to my Mac, there's no such problem.

I have seen this a lot from most people that communicate with me using a Mac. How is it possible that with millions of Macs sold, we're the only ones complaining about this? You'd think that with all those graphic designers out there, this would be a global crisis! :confused:

7. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

BTW, since I used Thunderbird first and then switched to Mail, I can clearly see that it's Apple's font rendering that's at fault here. While Thunderbird will display an e-mail at a regular font size, Mail will use much too small a font to display exactly the same thing.

Apple, what's up with that? :(

However, I have confirmed that Verdana is the only font that will display properly in Outlook. Tahoma and Trebuchet do not.