Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
I've had my iPad for over a month and just realized the iPad has no options for fonts other then the default font for mail... That's crazy!! So much for sending holiday wishes out from my iPad..
Guess I have to go to my lowly windows 7 PC to do it :(

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Yeah, unfortunately you need to rely on Apps or web services for that.

I like the stationary and photo support in Mac OS X Mail. It's a shame they didn't carry that across to iOS.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
Yeah, unfortunately you need to rely on Apps or web services for that.

I like the stationary and photo support in Mac OS X Mail. It's a shame they didn't carry that across to iOS.

It is a shame..
Unfortunately the two jallenclark suggested are not quite what I was looking for although they would do perfect for holidays cards and such.. I was hoping for something that would add fonts, italics, underscoring, colored texts ect...

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I am with you, OP. Maybe we will have them someday. But, Steve Jobs himself first has to feel the need - which means not in near future.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
I am with you, OP. Maybe we will have them someday. But, Steve Jobs himself first has to feel the need - which means not in near future.

Really... It's a shame we have more font options posting here on Macarumors then we do using the iPads Mail application!! :)

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
I have kind of mixed feelings about this. More often than not, the e-mail I've gotten over the years that uses special formatting -- different fonts and colors and sizes and what have you -- has been junky, annoying, and hard to read. If the purpose of e-mail is to communicate information, then I prefer it to be in plain text.

If on the other hand the purpose of e-mail is something different -- like the example given of holiday greetings -- then maybe it's best to create a PDF file (in Pages, for example) and send it as an attachment. That way it will look pretty much the same way to everyone. But this is a special case.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
It's also ridiculous that you can't even set a text bold or italic, or chose at least the font size.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I have kind of mixed feelings about this. More often than not, the e-mail I've gotten over the years that uses special formatting -- different fonts and colors and sizes and what have you -- has been junky, annoying, and hard to read. If the purpose of e-mail is to communicate information, then I prefer it to be in plain text.

If on the other hand the purpose of e-mail is something different -- like the example given of holiday greetings -- then maybe it's best to create a PDF file (in Pages, for example) and send it as an attachment. That way it will look pretty much the same way to everyone. But this is a special case.

Unfortunately that's not the case :(

Due to some font issues (not embedding them) or some Apple screw up, if you make a Pages doc and send it as a PDF to someone else (perhaps who owns a PC, which let's be honest if the majority of the population) it does not look right.

The whole point of PDF (to me anyway, and I think most people) was that you created a document set out exactly the way you want, make a PDF file of it, and send it, and everyone sees the same.

Unfortunatly Apple have screwed this up and it does not work this way using Pages.

I found this out the very 1st day I bought pages, and it's a known and much complained about bug (I won't call it a feature) if you search :(

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
To Coolwater,

You are very wrong. All it really takes is for some developer to realize there is a need and write an app.

Very true Tom, although Steve Jobs does use an iPad and you would think he would realize the need for this and put one of his iPad developers on it.
One thing about Apple is they always seemed to be user friendly, I understand you have font changing options with the Galaxy Tab's mail app!!! :(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Very true Tom, although Steve Jobs does use an iPad and you would think he would realize the need for this and put one of his iPad developers on it.

But Steve Jobs only ever writes one-line emails. Why would he ever feel the need for font options in the mail app? :D

Jokes aside, it's not like Apple took features that are available on OSX's mail app and deliberately deleted them from the iOS version. Remember, most of the stuff for iOS is being written from the grounds up. This leads to features we take for granted on desktop OS to be left out of iOS -- remember copy and paste? :eek:

Font formatting for the mail app will eventually get there. After all, we finally got some font choices for the Notes app! But I think we do need to remember that iOS is not yet fully mature. Just keep writing in your feature suggestions to Apple, and wait, patiently or impatiently. ;p

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
I found a way to use different fonts and colors when writing messages in iPad's mail app...
I hate to double post but I posted it in "iPad Mail Trick: different fonts & colors" thread I started in iPad Tips, Help, and Troubleshooting section.

Tip:
To type a message in iPad mail so it has a different font & color. Just copy a word with the font and color you want and just paste it as the first word of your message and start typing from that word on and it will type the message with that font & color.
What I did was have a group of words in different fonts and colors saved as a draft message and when I want to write mail in a certain font or color I just copy it from there and then paste it as the first word of a reply or new message.

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
I found a way to use different fonts and colors when writing messages in iPad's mail app...
I hate to double post but I posted it in "iPad Mail Trick: different fonts & colors" thread I started in iPad Tips, Help, and Troubleshooting section.

Tip:
To type a message in iPad mail so it has a different font & color. Just copy a word with the font and color you want and just paste it as the first word of your message and start typing from that word on and it will type the message with that font & color.
What I did was have a group of words in different fonts and colors saved as a draft message and when I want to write mail in a certain font or color I just copy it from there and then paste it as the first word of a reply or new message.

Brilliant - Thanks :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, back from my quick test.

Making a simple test document in iPad Pages (font sizes) and images/shapes on screen.

I sent as a PDF file and viewed the result in Adobe Acrobat.

Results = ok, but not great. Hard to describe. It's as if someone has turned the quality setting down. Typeface is not quite right and it's all a bit blocky rather than a nice smooth outline.

I also sent it as a Word file.

OMG Disaster. the text was perfect (I assume using Word's default fonts) but all the effects were stripped out (borders) and the locations of the image on the screen was random. The text was in one clump and the images, were clumped in another position.

Totally unusable with word anyway, waste of time having the option.

Shame about the low quality font when sent as a PDF file.

Pages was a waste of money for me, I bought it on day 1 of owning my iPad and never used it as it's just unusable when sent to anyone else.

I'm sure it's fine when sending between iPads (I guess) and it printing out direct from it.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
Good ideas though... I know what you mean about Pages, it was my 1st purchased app on day one and so far i only used it once..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.