Mail forgets password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zeeinnm, May 4, 2009.

1. Zeeinnm macrumors member

I have two addresses. Today I had to enter the password twice for the secondary account, once in the morning and later in the day. I checked "remember" each time. This is not the first time it did this but twice in one day was different. Anyone else have this happen? Anyone know why?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

mine does this all the time. Same with IM accounts....no idea....need to repair keychain?

3. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

It may not be a forgotten password. Mail's error handling is piss-poor; just about any error comes back as a 'rejected' password.

4. jtown macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say that's poor exception handling on the part of mail.app. Almost all email clients work that way. If a session fails for any reason, they'll request the password again. The "problem" is not mail.app but a flaky mail server or internet connection.

5. laeeqhumam macrumors newbie

Open the settings of both the email accounts and under account screen, uncheck & recheck "Remember password". Hope this should work.:)

6. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Try all the previous suggestions but if they don't work then maybe do some checking on your keychain.

Mine was doing the same thing. The last time I changed my login password all my keychain passwords broke. Keychain first aid didn't help and login syncing was already checked.

So, I did what any red blooded computer user does; I deleted it (my keychain) and started fresh. If you can't remember all your passwords be sure to look at your keychain before you do anything. Also, if you want you can backup your existing login keychain; it's in /library/keychains in your home folder.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not so convinced... not even all of Apple's e-mail clients do this -- the iPhone doesn't ask for a password unless there's an actual password error. T-Bird and Outlook (AFAIK... it's been a while since I used multiple accounts on Outlook) don't do this either.

I've never seen any sensibility in this behavior from Mail.app....