Mail freaks out and looses POP's and drafts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Monkey228, May 3, 2009.

1. Monkey228 macrumors newbie

Grrr. Here is my situation:

I had like 250 windows open (yeah yeah, probably what caused the problem, but I have had much more going on in the past and had little issues [some but little]) then certain other applications (RescueTime, iCal) stop working. Giving me different error messages. Then I open up Microsoft Word and document all the emails that I had opened (cause I couldn't afford Mail crashing).

Then I finish and save the word document. I then try to send an email to myself but it didn't work.

So, I try to just restart my macbook pro. Then had problems shutting down. I had to force Mail to quit.

After a few minutes. It worked and I restarted. Then Mail opened up (automatic open at login) and all my POP accounts are MISSING, and my drafts are gone and I get a message saying "See the new and improved Mail". FAIL!

I then go to Library>Mail and I find all my POP's. They are still there on the hard drive but it's not in my Mail and Mail asking for my MobileMe account (I don't have one and don't want one).

In addition. I think my ISP thinks I'm spamming or something cause I sent like 500 emails to another account I own. (I'm trying to delegate my Twitter account and I wanted to send the emails from my personal email to a specific account dedicated to my Twitter account). So, this might be why I couldn't send emails.

I'm just a little frustrated. At Apple and my ISP. If I can easily do something to get my POP's and drafts back, I'd be okay and then I'll call up my ISP to fix the other issue (if it's really the ISP that's to blame).

Finally, I'm using Mac OS X (Macbook pro) 10.5.6; 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

? What are POPs?

Are you talking POP as in Post Office Protocol? Cause thats waaay different then a saved email.
    Not to mention most stuff nowadays uses POP3 or SMTP maybe a setting could be your issue?

And 250 windows open?!? Thats begging for some sort of trouble.

Also for the sending emails problem it sounds like you probably did get shut off. A lot of ISPs do it.

3. Monkey228 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Sorry I just call them POP's in my head.

Do you have any idea on how I can easily get my accounts back onto my Mail app? I have a lot of emails, I'm not sure which ones I've read and such, so keeping them in their previous state will be tremendously beneficial. I know they are located at "Library>Mail" but...where can I move them to...and how exactly (like do I leave certain files in Library>Mail? ...etc)

And how do I find my drafts?

4. Monkey228 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. But I ended up getting help from Mac Hints & Tips (link to his twitter account).

He got me on iChat and shared my screen and used Time Machine and found one file (I can't remember the name but it was just one simple file) and fixed everything.

I got all my drafts and most of my accounts back! Pretty awesome. :)