Mail - Get only subject from mails

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidcmc, Mar 20, 2010.

1. davidcmc macrumors 6502

I don't like the idea of Mail.app downloading the whole e-mail when I want to check for new ones.
    Is there any way to make it only get the subject? The idea here is to download the whole mail only if I want to (like clicking on the subject).

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. That's how e-mail works, generally.

3. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

most brief, text-based emails are only ~8-10kb... a subject itself is going to take up 1-2kb. the sizes are so insignificant that I don't think you're going to find something that only downloads the subject

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I don't like the idea of Mail.app downloading the whole e-mail when I want to check for new ones.
    Is there any way to make it only get the subject? The idea here is to download the whole mail only if I want to (like clicking on the subject)."

Here's the solution:
    http://www.popmonitor.com/index.html

I use it almost 100% of the time before I click the "Get Mail" button in Mail.app.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Obviously that only works with POP e-mail accounts. It also hasn't been updated in 3 years or so and costs $25. Why anyone would pay for that kind of abandonware is beyond me.

6. davidcmc thread starter macrumors 6502

What about e-mails with 10mb+ attachments? Hotmail servers are slow as a turtle. There could be, at least, an option to only download the attachments if I want to.

7. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I agree completely; I'm just trying to give a rationale as to why there probably is a dearth of programs you seek...

8. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You could always just try hiding the message preview pane and see if that does what you want. Just double-click on the border of the preview pane to hide it. Not sure if this will make Mail only download the headers until you click on the message or not, but worth a try.