Mail Gmail Problem: Unread Messages when read on iOS

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by palebluedot, Nov 14, 2013.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I have noticed, even after the supposed Apple mail fix for Mavericks Mail, that when I read a message on my Gmail account on my iOS device, the email does not show as read on Mavericks Mail. Even when you click fetch new message OR close and reopen Mail, it still shows as unread.

This does not happen to my Exchange account, so it seems to be a Gmail issue with Mavericks Mail.

Anyone else have this issue and/or a fix?

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I'm not having that problem. No matter where I read my gmail (iPhone, iPad) it shows up as read in Mavericks - not sure what I'm doing right but I don't have this.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

4. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Just curious, did you do a fresh install or upgrade? I did an upgrade, wonder if there is some pref file problem or something.

5. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Did you install the Mail update? I did. Still did not fix anything.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Installed the Mail update and deleted messages are reappearing every time I reopen.

Today, Mail isn't working at all. Not sending a message, not retrieving messages...what gives?

7. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

iSaint, looks like you and I aren't the only one having these problems. I read these comments from an article TechCrunch posted post-Mavericks Mail update.

Mavericks is starting to seem like a mini-Windows Vista with all its problems. X_x

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Yes, I was still having these problems post update. I have gone back to ML until all of this gets resolved.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

10. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Thanks for the suggestion :) I think this is a little different than the problem we are having. I have the default (proper) setup with Gmail on Mavericks Mail as it pertains to All Mail, Inbox, etc. The issue is really the lack of IDLE (I think) or the lack of automatic updating with the IMAP server on read/unread flags for emails in Gmail.

11. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Im also having this problem.
    I read about 5 emails on my iOS device with the intent of replying back later through the Mail app on my Macbook. The emails didnt show on the Macbook

12. snarfquest macrumors regular

Same here. Exactly the same problem.

13. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

One thought is maybe we should all call AppleCare and report it. The more of us that get elevated to an advisor, the more likely Apple will fix this. I wish they would fix this in days, not months, but it is likely we could get a fix within the year, hopefully. Unless this is an expected behavior by Apple.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Gmail now has a delay for devices not using exchange mode, so:

After reading on device, click refresh.
    After getting on new device, click refresh.

Sometimes if I delete a gmail message while it's still loading others, the deleted message will come back.

15. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

This does not work. It is not an issue of pressing refresh, that doesn't do anything sadly.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I did a fresh install and still have this problem.

17. crazyman3005 macrumors regular

Hope after todays update to developers, the entire mail app gets fixed, never used to happen on ML, but on Mavericks, my Gmail is pretty much useless...doesn't refresh accurately, messages just hang and don't enter into mailbox...etc..

18. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I can confirm it is a Mavericks issue because I have ML on another machine and it works "flawlessly". ( I say flawlessly because there were a lot of glitches, but not as bad as Mavericks. I miss Snow Leopard :( )

19. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

This issue is still there even with the latest Apple Mail update. Anyone else still having the problem? BTW, happy new year all!