Mail/Gmail using own domain name

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Successfool, May 8, 2008.

1. Successfool macrumors newbie

2. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's easy. Gmail has settings for this in the user control panel. I don't recall how offhand, but check the Gmail settings. It's something a "Send As" address. Mail has a similar feature, too, I think, so it can send mail as "name@yourdomain.com" even though it routes through "smtp.gmail.com".

3. Successfool thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know how to find that feature in Mail?

4. DLH macrumors member

You need to add the add the address you want your mail to be from in the "Send mail as" section in the Accounts Setting in the GMail web interface and then make it the default.

The address of any e-mail sent through smtp.gmail.com with your account login information will have the "from" header changed.

The headers will still show your gmail address as well.

5. Successfool thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any way that i can make GMAIL invisible so people will just see @mydomain.com ??

6. DLH macrumors member

It really depends on what you are trying to do.

You don't have to use smtp.gmail.com as your outgoing mail server. You can use the one provided by your ISP. If you do that, then whatever you set as your e-mail name in the Mail application will appear as "From". If you use do use it, your GMail account will be in the sender header. Most mail applications do not show this information, but if someone displays the full headers, it will be there.

By not using smtp.gmail.com, you lose the ability for GMail to automatically store your outgoing emails online. Using IMAP, you may be able to have Mail.app store a copy on GMail.

This is also more of a GMail question than a Mail.app question. You might check the GMail support forum.
    http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion?hl=en

7. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

When you set up Mail, tell it to only use the SMTP address that you want as your default email. If you edit the SMTP list and remove gmail for instance ... it will never show up as sent from... I hope this is what you were asking.

8. Successfool thread starter macrumors newbie

so should i start over? not sure i'm following...

9. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

No need to start over just go to preferences, then go to Accounts and at the bottom is Out going mail server... delete the one you do not want people to see.

10. DaveF macrumors 6502a

For Gmail, go to account settings and set your Send Mail as preference, as I did here.
    Gmail Settings

In Mail, go to your Accounts Settings and set your desired email address along with the Gmail smtp settings.