Mail & Gmail's Sent Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smileyguy, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've set up Mail to use Gmail perfectly, except when I send emails from Mail it won't save them in my sent folder, and it hasn't collected my old sent messages either. I did a search and found a few people with a similar problem but that seemed to be attributed to the fact that they were accessing IMAP accounts. Anyone know what the problem could be with Gmail?

The only instruction I didn't follow in the instructions was that I told Gmail to keep copies of my emails in its inbox rather than archive them.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

check what you have selected in "erase copies of sent messages when:" in mail preferences->accounts->mailbox behaviours

also do you have a sent folder in your sidebar instead of the sent paper plane? if you do select it then go mailbox->use this mailbox for->sent

i have a gmail account in mail and it works perfectly

3. Smileyguy, Oct 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010

Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help...

I have a sent folder, but when I select it and go to 'Use this Mailbox for', all of the various options are greyed out and I can't select any.

Whenever I'm composing a message in Mail, I get a box popping up telling me that the message I'm typing cannot be saved.

It's an ongoing problem - whenever I'm typing a message, I get an error message saying it cannot be saved and noting at all in my sent folder.

When I try select 'Use this mailbox for', all the various options are greyed out ad I can't select them.

Anyone have any ideas?

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

Read that, do what it says. The key is indeed the "Use this for..." options, as well as axing the [Gmail] IMAP prefix. I set mine up using that page and all my folders/boxes work 100% perfectly.

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot, but I'm just a little confused.

I've set my Gmail account up as a POP account in Mail (Incoming server: Pop.gmail.com) - do I need to set it up again as an IMAP account?

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No. You pick one protocol or the other. If you do both all you're going to wind up with is duplicates of your incoming messages.

7. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'm still a little confused...

I'm ignoring all the iPhone instructions because I'm not using one, so I'm skipping straight to the paragraph titled "Properly sort Drafts, Deleted, and Sent mail in Apple Mail".

This simply says to select the appropriate folder and go to Mailboxes > Use this Mailbox for etc, etc...

Unfortunately this doesn't work for me as all of the options in 'Use this Mailbox for' are greyed out and I can't select them.

Should I set up my Gmail account again as an IMAP account, or can I keep it as POP?

Thanks for persevering with me!

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

OK.

Forget POP. In fact, just remove the POP account. When you add an IMAP account in Mail, it will create a new collapsible item in the sidebar with whatever name you gave the account. Under that item will be the "folders" it downloaded from GMail. Those are the folders you must select and say "Use this mailbox for...". If you've got the right ones selected, I guarantee you those menu options will be available.

9. Smileyguy, Oct 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010

Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks. When I set up the IMAP account and Mail goes to login to it, it tells me my password is incorrect, even though I'm typing it correctly. This was the exact same thing that happened before in my POP account until I enabled POP forwarding in Gmail's settings, but that does not fix the problem here.

Thanks for the help,

Sg

Okay, I've enabled IMPAC forwarding in my main Gmail account and this working perfectly, thanks mrrogers.

But I have two other Gmail accounts that I want mail to access, and for some reason neither of these have the option in Settings to enable IMAP forwarding. Anyone have any idea why?

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Google is still rolling out IMAP. They just started late last week. A few of my accounts still don't have it either.

11. sanfrandan, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

sanfrandan macrumors newbie

Retrieve Sent and Drafts from Gmail

I've been using POP for Gmail on my Mac Mail (4.3) and just set up IMAP. I am getting all my Gmail labels now, but I would also like my Sent items and my Drafts to be downloaded and synced with my Mac Mail. When I click on Drafts on the left side, and then go to Mailbox up top, and try to go to "Use this Mailbox For" - everything is grayed out.

How can I get Drafts and Sent to sync?

By the way: I just found this advice on Gmail help page:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892#

All IMAP clients differ, and you can configure your mail client's settings to best suit your needs. However, to work optimally with Gmail, we recommend certain settings. Click on your client below to view our recommended configuration.
    Apple Mail

From the Mail menu, click Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors

Drafts:
    Store draft messages on the server > do NOT check

Sent:
    Store sent messages on the server > do NOT check

Junk:
    Store junk messages on the server > checked
    Delete junk messages when > Never

Trash:
    Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox > do NOT check
    Store deleted messages on the server > do NOT check

But by not checking Drafts and Sent - what does that mean? They won't go to the server - so they won't come to Mac Mail - and they won't sync? Am I asking for the impossible?

Thank you!