Mail goes offline at the office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Jun 2, 2008.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I wasn't sure what to search for so I am creating a new thread:

Recently my computer crashed causing multiple things to completely reset. One major thing that has reset was Mail. All my accounts were gone along with all of my emails. Since then I have added my accounts back to Mail and everything has been going smoothly.

At work, however, I am having quite the trouble getting mail to work. Before the incident Mail worked fine at work, but now I can't send a single message out. It says Gmail is offline when the message pops up saying it can't send, but does not say it is offline in the side menu.

Any ideas on what I need to adjust to fix this problem?

2. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Anything?

3. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

Two things:

1. I hate it when I post a good question and no one else on the damn planet has had the same problem....

2. Sometimes (although I love GMail) it can be finicky about your internet connection. If it gets slow, GMail will cut you off. I have noticed this in public areas where there is too much traffic on a single wifi, and GMail will just shut down.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

Do you have a .mac account on your work computer (in addition to any others)? Email via .mac was down most of yesterday, and when it goes down it can cause mail.app to totally lock up. I had to disable my .mac account at home and quit mail.app before I could get it to respond at all, eventually even having to do a force quit. I believe that .mac is back up today (finally).

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Well, no our work WiFi is really fast, so it has never been a problem. Before my computer did a hard reset and Mail was reset I never had a single problem. I do appreciate the post though as it is a little frustrating when no one else seems to have the problem. GMail is sure finicky at times.

I don't have .Mac (yet, WWDC 08 Perhaps? :cool:). I do have another account from my local internet company, which is also having the same problem. I am assuming somewhere in my computer the Mail ports got messed up? What do you guys think?

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

So I can now send Mail by having the port open at 495, but by doing that I can't receive emails now... WTF:mad::confused:

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Solution

Okay, here is the solution I was able to come up with. For some reason, every time I set up the IMAP account with Mail and Google, Mail would put the port at 995. This was giving me an error, so I tried 25, 495, 585 ( I maybe off these port numbers, but you get the gist). I found those port numbers on Apple's help website.

Eventually I stumbled upon some help page on GMail, and found that the port number needed to be 993, not 995.

Thank you, and I hope this helps someone in the future.

8. automatickyle macrumors regular

I am using port 993 and get a single thing to send out from Gmail on the mail.app