Mail has gone completely boncus again

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WolfBenz, Feb 16, 2014.

1. WolfBenz macrumors newbie

Still can't believe how Apple managed to xxx the single most used app with Mavericks...
    That said, it's even more astonishing to me that such a massive company does cannot solve this problem within (more than, by now) half a year.
    For a SW company, that is beyond me.
    Only the MobileMe garbage tops this fiasco...

It's come to the point I have to send myself a mail every time I want to receive mail...

Apple... please get your act together. You're redefining looking bad...
    In attach a tiny movie I just recorded... it's doing this every day. Look at the figures... and know I was not sending anything (Outgoing mail: & ?? WTF?) and receiving nothing at all (let alone the flipping xxx.xxx mails)

Attached Files:

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Assuming you're on IMAP,(and you should be):

1) Rebuild all mailboxes in Mail.app.

2) Shut down and reboot in Safe Mode. Get to your desktop, wait a few minutes, then shut down and reboot into normal mode. (Safe Mode boot rebuilds some caches)

3) If all else fails, and all your mailboxes are on the server in IMAP (make a backup anyway, especially any mailboxes that are stored locally): delete all the IMAP accounts, reboot, and add them back again. All IMAP mail will need to be re-downloaded but that can run overnight.

3. quatermass macrumors member

4. WolfBenz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... 1 & 2 I had done already (found that on the internet).
    3... I don't have the nerve. I spent so much time configuring my 7 mail accounts till all details were correct till the latest komma...
    I don't want to go through that process again (and indeed, I shouldn't ;-)

I meant bonkers indeed (*blush*)

5. WolfBenz thread starter macrumors newbie

10.9.2 ≠ Mail fix

I had hoped the update to .2 would fix the long standing mail issues.
    In vain.
    How is it possible the biggest SW company in the work cannot fix a mail problem in half a year?

Mails still don't come in (first on iPhone, sometimes multiple hours before OSX mail), search still doesn't work properly (try it, you'll see what I mean - even if you use the exact words), delete/Uno is still not working, ....

Boy boy. Quality standards?
    I gave up.

-Wolf

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I gave up Apple's mail app three years ago...It just isn't reliable. Instead I use Thunderbird from Mozzila....Free, open source, and you add the features you want as you go...calendars lists etc etc.

Only downside if you can call it one is that as it doesn't integrate fully with OSX you have to remember to save those important emails to local folders on your Mac.

It's not difficult to get used to, and is rock solid.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You have seven IMAP email accounts?

Try disabling them one by one (in preferences), and seeing if u can narrow the problem down to one accounts. (disable, not delete. Re-enable the disabled account before disabling the next one). Might be a corrupt IMAP settings file. Might even be two or more corrupt IMAP settings files.

If still no joy, backup, bite the bullet and delete all your IMAP acounts. The hardest part is backing up first. You should already have regular backups via Time Machine, but still good to make a separate backup.

a)
    Find your Mail & your Mail Downloads folders at /Users/(your name)/Library/ and just make copies of these folders onto an external disk or your desktop.

b)
    Make screenshots or write down all your Mail settings for each account - passwords, user id, imap settings, mailbox settings, port numbers etc. Don't want to delete an account then realise you've forgotten the password ...

c) delete all IMAP accounts from Mail preferences. Reboot. Maybe reboot into Safe mode. Reboot to normal mode.

d) add in all IMAP accounts again.

All in all, 15-20 mins work tops apart from waiting for files to transfer / mails to re-download.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Another tip specifically for 10.9.2

Another tip specifically for 10.9.2

http://miapple.me/how-to-fix-mavericks-mac-os-x-10-9-2-gmail-bug/

I might follow this myself.

Not yet on 10.9.2, but mail.app kept wanting to modify 50,000 odd messages every day, a Sisyphean task.

Last month I deleted and re-added my IMAP accounts, plus a full rebuild of all local mailboxes, plus running Onyx system cleaner, plus rebooting to safe mode, brought that down to 'only' wanting to modify 2,000 messages each day which only takes about 5 minutes to accomplish.