Mail Headache

theposse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
114
0
TENERIFE
I have been trying use mail now for nearly a year and have yet to find out how to use it properly.I tried using a plugin called httpmail but that worked one minute and then didn't the next without me changing anything on my computer ?
How does everyone else use mail do you have a different e-mail address i.e an apple account or some other that is compatible with mail and if so how do you set it up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Scott
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,239
2
London, England
I think Hotmail (which I assume is why you were using httpmail?) stopped allowing connection via mail clients without paying a fee a while back.

Mail will work with anyone who gives POP/IMAP access to your account. Googles GMail gives POP access so you can access your mail via the Mail.app or the website.

If you want a GMail invite see here (or just PM me your current email address).
 

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
1,023
0
London, UK
I think most people also set up Mail to check whatever mail service they are provided with by their service provider. I have my ISP, yahoo, hotmail and .mac accounts all in Mail, which is quite handy from an organizational point of view.

edesignuk said:
I think Hotmail (which I assume is why you were using httpmail?) stopped allowing connection via mail clients without paying a fee a while back.
If you download the latest version of httpmail, it's working again (learned that on here last week, after thinking the same thing for about six months).
 

theposse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
114
0
TENERIFE
Thanks but..

Can you send me the invite again as i think you got my email wrong as its underlined here. My address is Hottie19_73 @hotmail.com.i had to put a space in this time so you can see its an underscore inbetween the 19 and 73
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,239
2
London, England
theposse said:
Can you send me the invite again as i think you got my email wrong as its underlined here. My address is Hottie19_73 @hotmail.com.i had to put a space in this time so you can see its an underscore inbetween the 19 and 73
The invite was sent to "Hottie19_73@hotmail.com", make sure hotmail hasn't flagged it as spam or something.
 

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
874
1
Berkeley, California
umm... back on the subject of Mail....

Has anyone had the issue that it will check your mail, but then not be able to send anything? Because right now I can read any emails that have been sent to me, but if I try to send an email, it says that it can't connect to the server.
 

theposse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
114
0
TENERIFE
ummmmm whats a PM

What are my PMs.I'm pretty new to this stuff. I really only use my computer for music and photography.
Sorry again.
By the way the problem you're having comictimes is the same one i have and i've tried to reinstall the program more times than i care to remember and i've even tried different versions all with the same outcome.
Thanks for your help!!!!
Scott
 

silentrage

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
61
0
the South
comictimes said:
umm... back on the subject of Mail....

Has anyone had the issue that it will check your mail, but then not be able to send anything? Because right now I can read any emails that have been sent to me, but if I try to send an email, it says that it can't connect to the server.
You may want to check your outgoing mail server set-up in the preferences pane of mail.
 

Similar threads

  • indychris
4
Replies
4
Views
246
Replies
0
Views
198
Replies
3
Views
351
Replies
12
Views
963
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.