Mail Help (Backing up emails and other things)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LexLuthor84, Jul 7, 2007.

1. LexLuthor84 macrumors newbie

Hello all! I'm not a new Mac user, but I am new to the program Mail. I've set up POP access and now I'm ready to roll. However, I have two questions that I thought some of you whiz kids might be able to answer.

How do I backup my emails? I was hoping I'd find a folder where they were saved in RTF or some other readable format. I'd like to perhaps read them in Pages 2 or print them and save them in a binder. I've read that the emails are saved to the Library/Mail folder, and I've found that. But there don't seem to be any emails there . . .

My second question is this: how do i delete the emails from the original server? I'd like them to be gone from Inbox.com's server, and I believe I have the settings right. (Preferences/Accounts/Advanced then "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message" is checked "right away") I also clicked Remove Now, but alas, they are still there. Perhaps it is Inbox.com's settings?

Anyway, thanks to all who have read this. I look forward to your help.

2. LexLuthor84 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Individual mail are not saved in rtf or any other format that Pages can understand. In ~/Library/Mail/ there is a folder for each account you have. If it's a POP account the name will start with POP. Inside that folder there will be a series of folders with one called INBOX.mbox. In INBOX.mbox there will be a folder called Messages. In there there are a series of .emlx files that are the messages.

Of course if you have rules that move the messages to other folders the .emlx files will be in those folders under the ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes folder.

4. LexLuthor84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to export the emails into a readable format for a text program? I'm just looking for a way to print them off.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yep: the File->Save As command in Mail.

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

That's one thing I really liked about Eudora: the messages were text files that were easily viewed by most any text editing app.