Mail help please!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ludrup, Feb 23, 2010.

1. ludrup macrumors newbie

Hi all, just had my macbook pro shut down on me after a session with my 3 dongle (that's a whole other story). However, when I re-booted everything worked as before except mail which asked me to set up my accounts again from scratch:eek:

HAs anyone had this happen to them? What should I do? How can I reclaim all my mails without having to set it all up again or going back to time machine.

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Somehow your com.apple.mail.plist was damaged or rendered unreadable. Short of recreating one by setting up the account(s) again, the only thing to do is restore it via Time Machine from ~/Library/Preferences.

3. ludrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. If I do that does it mean that mail will set up from scratch and I lose everything? Anthing I can do through time machine?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It depends on if you have your email accounts set up as POP or IMAP. IMAP you can delete and recreate to infinity without losing anything. POP, however is a whole different beast. If your email account is configured as POP, it has been downloading the received messages to your ~/Library/Mail folder. Recreating the Mail settings for POP accounts, without backing up the contents of that folder first, is not advisable.

5. Jackyl macrumors newbie

set up the account again. It's not that big of a deal and you should get your mail.