MAIL HELP: "you need to take this account online"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JH123, Apr 6, 2007.

1. JH123 macrumors newbie

I am having trouble reading mail in my inbox. I am getting this message whenever I click on any piece of mail:

"The message from "example@example.com" concerning “TITLE OF EMAIL” has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it."

It is only happening with one of the three email accounts I have on this computer's mail program. When I add this email account to another computer's mail program I can in fact read all of the mail in the inbox, so I know it is not an issue with the email address.

Does anyone know of any tricks to get this account back online fast? Thanks!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Click on the button next to the failing Mail account (assuming you actually do have internet access ;) )

This one happens to me all the time.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably a better solution, mine doesn't always work straight away.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Assuming you're using Mail, the inbox for that account likely has a little circular gray icon next to it. That indicates an Offline status. Just click on the circle and it will take the account online. Also, you can right-click on the inbox in question, and there will be a menu item to "Take ... Online".

Attached Files:

6. JH123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Hmm, yes I too have the problem all the time but this is different. I am online and I am having no problems reading emails from other accounts in this mailbox.

Very strange, because like I said I am not getting that little button next to the account and when I go to "mailbox" I am in fact online. Anymore thoughts??

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sometimes takes a few seconds for my Ethernet and/or wireless to kick back on after waking from sleep. If I have Mail open it'll say my connection isn't available. That's about the only other time I have an issue with checking my mail.

8. JH123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it is something in my settings. Yesterday I was having problems with my outgoing mail server so I deleted some of them and re added...

I can get the mail, I just can't read them.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had an issue with multiple IMAP accounts and their outgoing servers before. I finally tamed Mail into using one outgoing SMTP server.

1. Check for a .locked file in ~/Library/Mail and delete it
    2. You might want to backup the ~/Library/Mail folder and then delete the original
    3. Rebuild your mail settings

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

This has happened to me once or twice with various email clients, where there is a mis-sync between the client & the server, and the whole thig gets bolloxed up.

It may just be easier to delete the account in Mail and re-add it. That would definitely clear out any issues. Check the account settings first to make sure you haven't changed anything critical yet obvious.

If you do decide to delete & rebuild, make a folder in mail to store all your email from that account inbox you want to save. Deleting the account will delete the associated inbox.

11. JH123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just re started twice and everything now seems back to normal. Real strange though....

Thanks everyone!

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not surprised, it wasn't picking up your network connection immediately, after restarting the problem went away.

13. cityscape macrumors newbie

Help!

I am having a similar problem, but instead I can read the emails coming in, but not the ones of the same account that I have sent! (We have multiple mail boxes, all the others work fine).

I am reluctant to try to delete mail boxes and set them back up as I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

Any suggestions or solutions?

14. dennyhayes macrumors newbie

MAIL HELP: "you need to take this account online"

I get that same message, but I only have one account, and all other folders work fine. It is only the mail in one specific folder that I created long ago. Even the messages that use to be there give me that message. It is obviously a bug in Apple Mail. I run a company, and loosing email is not an option.