Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hi all, I was wondering if there Is a way to set up filters in gmail and have them carry over to the ios Mail app? For example- I know gmail now automatically filters "promotional" emails yet they appear in the inbox with all emails in the ios mail app. I'd like to find a way so that they are still filtered in the mail app, or to find an app that lets me set up similar rules to filter and sort emails automatically. I want to continue to receive emails like the promotional ones (especially with the holidays approaching) but I do not want to be bombarded with their advertising. Any suggestions? I primarily use two gmail accounts.

indefinitekarma

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Hi all, I was wondering if there Is a way to set up filters in gmail and have them carry over to the ios Mail app? For example- I know gmail now automatically filters "promotional" emails yet they appear in the inbox with all emails in the ios mail app. I'd like to find a way so that they are still filtered in the mail app, or to find an app that lets me set up similar rules to filter and sort emails automatically. I want to continue to receive emails like the promotional ones (especially with the holidays approaching) but I do not want to be bombarded with their advertising. Any suggestions? I primarily use two gmail accounts.

Use the Gmail app?

Regardless setting up filters at Gmail.com should work for any mail app as mail is filtered before its synced over IMAP/POP.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I downloaded the gmail app and it's OK- but I'm not a huge fan. Am I missing something or can I only get badge notifications for the primary email account? The swipe/archive feature isn't as good as the native mail app.

Is there any way to get filters to apply to the native Mail app?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Like indefinitekarma said, Gmail filters are applied before any email client picks them up.

If you want you can have Gmail (web) move filtered mail to specific folders (labels) and skip the "Inbox" label. In the iOS mail app, you can add the folders you want to the main "Mailboxes" list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.