Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
I notice that Mail deletes messages server side and stores them on your computer. Is there anyway to have it not delete messages server side?

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I notice that Mail deletes messages server side and stores them on your computer. Is there anyway to have it not delete messages server side?

Open Mail Preferences, choose the account this is happening in, click the Advanced tab, then there is a "remove copy from server..." checkbox. Uncheck that and you should be good.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That's the right answer, assuming you're using POP3. If that doesn't work, there may be an issue with the way the server handles its POP requests (e.g. GMail does the opposite -- in spite being told to delete messages, it completely ignores this request).

Note that if you have IMAP, you don't see that option, and I'm not really sure that there is any way to do that. The model of IMAP is that your inbox is held on the server and that you act on the server copy of the inbox whenever you make a change. Any e-mail stays on the server as long as it's in a server folder such as the inbox, but if it gets moved out, it happens on the server too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.