Mail help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by achie25, Apr 12, 2008.

1. achie25 macrumors 6502

I am having issues trying to send messages through mail. I keep getting the following error message:

"Cannot send message using the server smtp.mac.com: (my username)

The connection to the server “smtp.mac.com” on port 25 timed out.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be delivered."

It gives me the option to edit my server list.

I am completely lost here and I was hoping someone here could maybe give me a hand before I have to run in to the apple store.

Thanks

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

There's a chance that your Internet provider doesn't allow customers to connect to port 25 of other peoples mail servers.

Try making the changes recommended in this blog article. It's how I have Mail setup on my MacBook Air, and it works great with Cox High Speed Internet. Before that, I got the same error you did.

http://www.shalomlevytam.com/index.php?entry=entry070902-150014

3. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll take a look at it.

FWIW I have at&t high speed internet.

4. jakfrost macrumors member

While on the subject of 'Mail'...I have a question that has been puzzling me for some time now.

This comes under the category of 'nuisance'. At least once a day and sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row, the 'password required' box comes up for one or other of my 2 'non .mac' mail accounts. I have of course checked the 'remember this password' box each time but sometimes it pops right back up.

After a couple of times I just click on 'cancel' and it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

As I mentioned the .mac account never does this only the 2 'pop' accounts.

What causes Mail to forget/loose my password almost daily?

jw

5. jpmcburney macrumors newbie

password needs to be entered in preferences to save...

i have mail.app not remember my passwords for email accounts after upgrade. To fix I went to mail pull down menu - preferences - accounts and entered the passwords and the email accounts worked perfectly after.

That little window that pops up when you were checking your mail and asking for your password is not saving anything - at least in my experience.

6. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot. Working great so far! :D

7. jakfrost macrumors member

Same here! So far so good...not holding my breath or anything but eternally optimistic..:rolleyes: