Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Is there ANY way to sync hotmail (or gmail or a school account) with mac mail so that you can control everything from mac mail?

What I mean is I want to completely switch over to mac mail as a mail client but I have to open messages twice for them to show up unread, once in mail and once in hotmail. Same with deleted messages. I get notifications from both mail and hotmail which becomes annoying. I know I can turn off notifications on msn, and avoid going to hotmail, but I would prefer having them both synchronized completely.

Possible?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Three different accounts; three different answers.
  • Your school account. That depends on the type of account that your school's server supports.
  • Gmail. Gmail supports IMAP. If you setup your Gmail account in Mail as IMAP, then you may synchronize it.
  • Hotmail. Hotmail does not support IMAP, only POP3. You may setup your Hotmail account in Mail as POP3. This will allow you to use Mail to send and receive your Hotmail messages. However, they cannot be synchronized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.