Mail: how to configure so my 'Send' will work via wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by playethic, Aug 15, 2009.

1. playethic macrumors member

I thought I'd find this in forums but couldn't seem to.

I use Mac's Mail program.

When I have my laptop at a wifi cafe or other wireless location I can receive my email no problem, but can't send. The settings seem to be specific to my technical settings on my account at home. But I don't know those for the remote wireless places. There must be an easy solution to this. Can anyone help?

Thx
    Lisa

P.S. When I'm at home it says my outgoing mail server is smtp.telus.something ... So when I click to check my other options, the other option is to enter another server. I don't know what to do :( The problem is my home modem has failed, so all these emails in my Outbox won't send through the smtp.telus when I'm at home, either. Otherwise, I figure my only option is to cut and paste every email in the Mail outbox into Webmail?

2. 1ne macrumors regular

That's because most place will not let you send outgoing mail/smtp relay. What you need to do is look for a free/pay smtp service. So when you are in that cafe/wireless location change your smtp server in mail to the free/pay server

Or just use webmail from your ISP.

It's says smtp.telus.net ;) I am on telus too

What do you mean by your modem has failed? How are you posting this thread now? 'Cause if you have internet you should be able to send email from your home.

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

it is your provider that won't let you log into the server from a remote location. get a gmail account and use it to send email from.

4. 1ne macrumors regular

By reading some of your other posts, you have a email address that ends with latitudemedia.ca right? Telus and Shaw will not relay your email out.

What you need to do is create a email address that ends with telus.net or sign up with Gmail. I know that's not good for you because your biz email end with latitudemedia.ca

So you need to look for a free smtp service. Humm... do some googling.