Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
This seems like it shouldn't just be a problem for me, but I couldn't find help by searching. Anyway, my mail.app on a reasonably consistent basis (usually once a day or so) has problems connecting to it's server. So when it does, it bounces up and down asking for my password for the particular account. The problem is that if it starts this overnight, by the time i get up my computer runs incredibly slow. Under further inspection I see that Mail has taken up all my remaining ram (380Mb).

Can anyone offer help on the subject? Maybe to eliminate the password prompt in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
If you go to the accounts preferences and enter your password there it will store it in the keychain and you don't have to enter your password again. This will also give anyone using the computer access to your email.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Yeah, I have done that from the beginning. It seems to work for a little while, then either the server or my computer gets upity(not a real word) and wants the password again. It has happened with all 3 of my accounts at various times. But it's not often enough to make a pattern out of.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Originally posted by howard
i foud out that bugs like mydoom cause this sort of thing too.
How? Files like those are not executables on a Mac. I don't see how they could affect Mail. Mail would just regard them as attachments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.