Mail icon shows 50 badge...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by multicore, Jul 18, 2012.

1. multicore macrumors member

...on my iPad when there are no new messages available. Why? I always do mail on my Mac anyway. I've tried quitting the Mail app, but the 50 is still there.

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

weird, do you have any other folders? like junk etc. i have folders for work and once you send an email from x_email address, the next time x_email address send you it will put that email in what ever folder you assigned it to. Sometimes i forget to check those.

is your ipad jailbroken? there is a tweak to clear badges

3. multicore thread starter macrumors member

No, not jailbroken. I don't recall ever using Mail on my iPad yet, but I might have once or twice, I don't recall. So I haven't made any folders other than the default.

OK, on about the sixth try, Mail opened to show all my Mailboxes. It was just showing a generic blank Inbox before. So I was able to select the 50 old messages and delete them. Since I had long ago already read these messages on my Mac, this is obviously redundant. Am I always going to get all my mail on both devices, regardless if they have been read already on another device?

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

weird! yeah sometimes you have to select the account first if you have multiple accounts.

umm on my mac ipad and iphone if i read it on one, it shows read on the other! idk why yours isnt doing that. What version of ios you on?

5. multicore thread starter macrumors member

The latest iOS. I think it must be some glitch with my internet provider, as it never happened before. If it keeps up, I'll contact them.

Thanks for your interest.

6. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Yes for a POP account, it will say the are unread if you have not read it on the iPad. Even if you read it on the Mac. Since it would not know that you have read it on the Mac. Google, and I believe Exchange accounts, work differently.

7. AndreAudi macrumors newbie

I have the same problem but mine says 32.. Lol

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As stated above, yes with a POP account. POP accounts don't sync. It would help if you'd include such details in your OP. Don't assume that we know what type of mail account you have.

IMAP, etc as well.

9. multicore thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, you're right. It's funny, I've had this POP account for several years and this is the first time I've had this happen, on my iPad or my iPod Touch. So I played around with them some more, and I guess it is just the case that I've never opened Mail app on either one of them with Airplane Mode off, because when I did it started downloading more old mail messages. So I turned off my mail accounts on both devices. Keeping it simple.