mail imap problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mgercke, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mgercke macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using mail 3.1 with Leopard and am having some problems using it with my IMAP-Server.
    My IMAP-Server supports the IDLE-feature and I would like to use it.
    I would like to know when new mail arrives, but not only in the INBOX.

Looks like mail only checks for new mail in the INBOX.
    => every time I want to know if there's something new in a subfolder I have to go into this subfolder.
    => the red sign on the mail-icon in the dock only shows the amount of new messages in the INBOX.

How I would like to use mail:

The red sign should show new messages in either all folders, or in previously specified folders (which I would like most).
    If it's only possible to show all new messages in all folders I am looking for a way to set rules to mark arriving new mail in some subfolder instantly as "read" so that they don't appear in the count of new messages.
    The reason for this being that I have some subscriptions to mailing lists which I am not so interested in to get a notification about :)

And of course I would like mail to check for new messages in all subfolders for this. I tried IMAPCheck 1.2 but I think this always polls the IMAP server and generates too much work for the mail application so that it gets a little slow. I think with the IDLE feature it should be possible to get around this, right?!

Any hope that there are tools to manage this?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Yes, this is ashame that "IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE" does not work in mail.app. It barely works in T-Bird (seems to use alot of resources trying to work, and sometime fails. Its a hidden feature in T-bird last I checked).

IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE is what your wanting. "IDLE" is the inbox only function your seeing, kinda. Mail.app does not support the IDLE function without this mailbundle.

There is another bundle that does a check on every subscribed mailbox, but it will take forever, and only does it per the check time you setup in Mail.app.

I ended up switching to a local running version of Mutt. The only thing it cannot do, is add iCal events into iCal directly. (It can even see the Addressbook, with a simple hack.

I spent many moons trying to find a way to get what you and I are wanting into Mail.app. Its just not there yet. It sucks, I know.

I prefer serverside filtering, hence the "IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE" functionality I require. I do not want to deal with local filters, and have to duplicate them at home or at work. Or if I am without a computer, and have to access my mail from webmail. If I could get what I want from Mail.app, I would do it. Its not that hard for them to implement "IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE", they just chose to not do it.