Mail imported into iCloud does not show as expected in iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by exi, Mar 25, 2013.

1. exi macrumors 6502

When manually moving over ~2000 sent messages from the Sent folder in Gmail to the Sent folder in iCloud (through Mail.app), I noticed that when looking at the Sent folder in the iCloud account on my iPhone, the mail that shows is not the "most recent" 50/100/whatever.

Instead, what happens is that a few recently sent messages will appear as expected, but then there will be a randomly-timed gap -- months, a year, something -- and I'll have a message sent in December of 2011 or so appear right next to one sent a couple of days ago, as if nothing was sent in the meantime.

Sent mail viewed under other, non-iCloud accounts do not have this problem. The sent messages viewed under "Sent" in Gmail on the iPhone appear as expected, and if moved back to Gmail from iCloud, they again appear as expected.

Suggestions appreciated.

2. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump. Has anyone else seen (or even not seen) this?

3. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Brian Blum macrumors newbie

Yes! I have this same problem. Did you ever find a fix?

5. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Never did! I actually ended up giving up the search and returning to Gmail after having a few little issues with iCloud mail.

6. Brian Blum macrumors newbie

Oh, like what? I'm about to give up too.

7. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

The one in this thread was a little thing, but then there was:

- Lousy, extremely limited server-side rules for filtering mail;
    - My own concerns about reliability (I never had inbound messages disappear, but track record says that'll happen with iCloud before it ever will with Google);
    - I DID inexplicably have mail sent through iCloud from within Mail.app disappear from my sent items folder, despite being received on the other end;
    - iCloud's inability to sync read status in the background without moving/deleting mail, something which requires ActiveSync as far as I can tell

It wasn't a BAD service, and I'd love having everything unified on iCloud, but it's no Gmail. The only thing I have against Gmail in the end is the privacy argument so many people have against Google.

8. Brian Blum macrumors newbie

Good to know. So far I'm just using iCloud for contacts because I hate the way it iOS messes with contact photos. And, I think ActiveSync is going away for Gmail, so I figured now's the time to switch. Hmmm.

9. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

I use it for calendars, contacts, notes, and Find my iPhone still. Just not that great of a mail service.

And yep, Google doing away with that for free accounts is why I thought about switching -- when I upgrade to the next phone, I won't be able to use Google Sync. Meh.