Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannydomo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I've set up a mail account on my G5 and my MacBookPro Lap top through MacMail and in the last few days, I haven't been able to receive any mail in this account.

Problem is, mail IS coming in through my iphone. Tried restarting, deleting my account and setting it up again on both the G5 and macbookpro but still nothing...

Any help?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I've set up a mail account on my G5 and my MacBookPro Lap top through MacMail and in the last few days, I haven't been able to receive any mail in this account.

Problem is, mail IS coming in through my iphone. Tried restarting, deleting my account and setting it up again on both the G5 and macbookpro but still nothing...

Any help?

POP3 or IMAP setup??

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
There's your problem. The first computer to get it (the iPhone in your case) is retrieving and then the email is removed form the mail server. So then the other computers try to check and there is nothing there. IMAP is a better choice as it doesn't behave this way. Does your provider support IMAP?

dannydomo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Hmm, that's weird. It's been working for 6 months on POP3 settings, but I'll try it on IMAP. Do I have to set all accounts to IMAP or should I just leave my iphone on POP?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Hmm, that's weird. It's been working for 6 months on POP3 settings, but I'll try it on IMAP. Do I have to set all accounts to IMAP or should I just leave my iphone on POP?

You can tell a POP3 account to leave the mail on the server. Maybe one of your accounts settings got flipped to "remove form server" on accident. But I would switch to IMAP anyways, it's much nicer for handling email from various locations than POP3.

dannydomo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
It worked!! Thanks for the help kgarner and Roy! Really appreciate it.

Danny

dannydomo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
new problem guys, I can't see SENT emails on the IMAP account now. Are there specific settings that I should know about?

Danny

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.