mail in snow leopard - hidden address database?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toronado455, Jun 7, 2012.

1. toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

In Mac Mail, when you type an eMail address in the To: field, do the entries get saved to a "hidden" database that you cannot access directly?

The reason I ask is, on my Dad's MacBook Pro,when you start typing in the To: field a bunch of addresses are being found as you type that are not listed in the Address Book, including some incorrectly formed eMail addresses that I end up having to delete one by one manually in order to prevent errors when sending mail.

I can always just disable auto-completion, but my Dad likes that feature. I could also tell him to use the address book to create new mail, but he doesn't want to do that either.

I'd really much rather be able to access this entire "hidden" database of saved addresses, and/or perhaps force the software to use only addresses in the Address Book when auto-completing as you type.

2. dholaday macrumors member

you can access that information by clicking on:
    Window->Previous Recipients

If you click on left-most column header, you can sort by addressees that are or are not in the address book. You can delete individual addressees or many at a time.

3. toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

Excellent. Thanks very much.

It would also be nice to be able to set a preference to use only addresses in the Address Book for auto-complete. Perhaps, as a work around, I can set a preference to not store addresses typed into the To: field?