Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
I am having a problem I cannot seem to figure out with Mail.

About 65% of my emails that come in are in the font size SO small its very hard for me to read, and I have 20/15 vision.

I have been into the Preferences section and raised the font size to 11 for every option I can see, but it doesn't affect these emails.

Any ideas? Is there an option I am missing? Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm not sure why they're so small, nor do I have a good permanent suggestion, but ⌘-= (⌘ and the '=' key) will increase the size of the font(s) in the message you're viewing (and ⌘ and the '-' key will reduce the size).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmmm, I have a couple of related guesses:

1) These e-mails are always in rich text or HTML, from the same senders

2) They use a font on the sending computer that you either don't have or that is corrupt on your computer.

What I would suggest is: figure out what font it is, and either get one of them to give you a copy of it off their computer or punch them in the nose and tell them to use a normal font. :p

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Thanks for the tips guys, I will look into those.

*I do know for a fact its from many different senders...although I do feel like punching someone either way :) *

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
I get this problem on all of my Macs. It's always the same sender as well (different people but always the same people) and it's like size 6 font. I wonder if there's a way to fix this cause my dad uses a Mac and I don't want to give him more things to do or he'd get frustarted from switching. :p

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Only time I see small fonts in Mail is when the sender used Rich Text or HTML and just (probably inadvertently) made the font really small. Sounds like it could be a font issue on your machine though. Maybe try clearing the font cache, or deleting Mail's preferences.

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
I found an easy fix for this on the apple forums.

Put this in the Terminal and restart mail.

defaults write com.apple.mail MinimumHTMLFontSize 13

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.