Mail inexplicable crash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by memco, Jan 12, 2009.

1. memco macrumors 6502

Mail is crashing on opening, but isn't returning any information on why. I've tried rebuilding the envelope index, and tried resetting the settings, but neither helped, nor did restarting. Any other fixes I can try?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This happened to me when my Windows noobish friend emailed me a crapload of emails with 50MB attachments. It was like dragging a pig through mud. Mail crashed on me. Try deleting the plist file in the Preferences folder under the Home folder (not Macintosh HD, the Home folder).

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Also you might want to download the Mail update for 10.5.6 from apple's website (it's not available through software update).

4. memco thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, deleting the prefs fixed it. I haven't upgraded to 10.5.6 yet because I heard there were issues causing some machines to be unusable.

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

No it's definitely usable (I've been using it without flaws since it was released).

6. memco thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I did a little searching to see if it was really a big deal, and didn't find much criticism so I updated. I have to say, even if Safari isn't snappier, Mail sure is.

@SHADO: even with all the mail features included in the update there's an additional mail update?

7. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea Apple released it like a coupla weeks ago I think, but you need to download it from their website, as it's not available on the Software Update list.

8. chkdg8 macrumors 6502