Mail/iPhone don't delete Exchange IMAP emails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slffl, Feb 5, 2008.

1. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I am able to access my work email through Exchange IMAP on my iPhone and Apple Mail just fine.

However, the only feature that doesn't seem to work is deleting emails. When I delete them on the clients, they still stay on the server. I have looked through every option and preference on the clients, but can't see anything I'm missing.

Am I missing a setting on the server side?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I haven't personally used an Exchange IMAP server before, but have you set Mail.app and the iPhone to use the Trash/Deleted Items (whatever) folder on the server for deleting messages? Maybe that has something to do with it.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think it takes a little bit time for server side to react ?

4. slffl thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

Well I've had this setup for years, but just never got around to getting this part to work.

5. slffl thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

Hmmm, I just tried this, and it seemed to work for one email, but I can't get it to do it again. I'll keep playing with this. Thanks.

6. dyelton macrumors newbie

From my understanding this is a known problem but I'm not sure where the fault lies. I have an iPhone and connect to our Exchange 2007 server via IMAP. When I delete an item on the iPhone it marks the message as read on the Exchange server but doesn't actually delete it. This is the same behavior that has been reported by others from my research as well.

7. sabi macrumors newbie

can't delete message on iPhone/Exchange

I'm having the same problem. I tried changing the trash folder to "deleted items" and still it is not deleting mail on the server when I place the mail in the trash on the iPhone.

Is there a way to get this to work?

thank you.

8. GAZ8 macrumors newbie

I find that you sometimes have to hit the reload key in iPhone Mail to force the server to resync once you've deleted and therefore reflect the change. Otherwise it usually (though not always) syncs when it next pulls or has a message pushed from the server.

9. NewSunSEO macrumors newbie

Having Same Problem - NOTHING WORKS

I've searched numerous places. This used to work & then stopped. I've checked the advanced settings & tried different trash folders. I've deleted the account & added it back. Everything... Nothing has worked yet. It is the most recent OS too. Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet?

Thank you

10. thebrian macrumors newbie

Turning off Notes

Having tried everything everybody else had, I noticed that on the first settings screen for the IMAP mail account there are two switches. I had previously set the account up with both Mail and Notes switched to ON. Turning Notes to OFF solved the problem for me (my folder locations had already been set and my IMAP Path Prefix had been manually set according to my provider's instructions).

11. nelsonc macrumors newbie

including a domain

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, as I seem to have found a way to solve this problem (at least it works for me). When you set up the exchange account, include a domain, in my case is the letter "d". Not sure if this will work for other servers, as I found the configuration instructions in one of my university's webpages. See http://www.math.ethz.ch/isg/faq/mail_config/iphone

Best regards and hope it works!