Mail / iPhone sync question??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AzDesertTroll, May 5, 2012.

1. AzDesertTroll macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

I posted this question in the iPhone section a couple of days ago and have not got any info back yet and I am hoping someone here might have a suggestion / solution...

Hi all,

In Nov I made the switch to Mac from PC and a few days ago bough my first iPhone, a 4s. So far I am enjoying it and learning the ins and outs, but I have a question about syncing mail between the phone and the Mac.

On the Mac I am using the Mac mail program to handle my three separate email accounts Yahoo, MSN and iCloud. I have set up separate folders and rules so that when I get emails they are automatically sorted and put in specific folders i.e.. email from finance go to a folder titled finance etc.

When I set up the phone it only put the basic, standard folders on it without the custom sub-folders that I have on the Mac. When I get mail and both the phone and the Mac retrieve it, the Mac follows the rules I have set and moves the email where it is supposed to. If I don't see the mail on the phone it gets pulled and it disappears when the Mac moves the email to the sub-folder. Additionally if the Mac pulls the mail from the servers first it puts it i the sub-folders and the phone never "sees" there was new mail so until I get back to the computer I never knew that I received mail.

With all that said, is there a way to set up the same sub-folders on the phone and have matching rules?

Thanks in advance for suggestions / instructions.

2. Reidan macrumors member

I do not sync my mail from my Mac to my iPhone via iTunes. Instead I use iCloud and I let the phone pull the mail direct from the mail servers. I actually hardly ever connect my iPhone to my Mac.

I have a Hotmail Account where I have folders for sorting mail. I have this account setup on my iPhone and it does have those folders on my iPhone. I do not have any rules for auto sorting mail on my Hotmail account. So I can not tell you if that portion would work for you. But it did automatically downloaded the folders to my iPhone.

You do not list Hotmail and I do not have Yahoo or MSN. So not sure if the folder sync I get from Hotmail works with the same with the providers you use. But hopefully it gives you some ideas to test.

3. AzDesertTroll thread starter macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

I am sorry I must have mis-stated myself, for the syncing I don't do it by connecting the iPhone to the Mac, they each check the mail servers on their own.

The MSN account that I have predated "hotmail" but it is the same, at least as far as I can tell. It is actually an account I am slowly merging away from because it is a POP account and the address was representative of what I did for a living at the time, which is no longer the case. But since I have used it since aprx 2003 it will take some time to completely phase it out.

4. d00d macrumors regular

Make your destination folders folders on one of your IMAP accounts (I believe Yahoo in addition to iCloud uses IMAP).